Will be fiddling with the site. If you encounter problems, please DM or send email to admin@ziboom.com. Thanks! ×
Sign in to follow this  
Morrigan

What's the most recent film you watched?

Saw Bohemian Rhapsody this evening - amazing and uncanny performance by Rami Malek especially the Live Aid performance.  I remember watching that on TV in 1985 with my two babies.  I wasn't well at the time, was just getting over a really bad infection, but was mesmerised by Freddie Mercury's performance, and how well Malek got him, even the way he put his feet down was accurate. 

• Thanks 1

Baldrick is in London for a couple of days,  so have taken the opportunity to get stuck into a few dramas and films that I've enjoyed.   This afternoon/evening I have been watching the movie "Finding Your Feet" starring Celia Imrie and Imelda Staunton, plus Tim Spall, David Hayman and Joanna Lumley - very enjoyable.   It comes under the general umbrella of "older people let their hair down and get a new lease of life"  - I'm happy to say there have been quite a few of these lately.   

fyf.jpg

• Thanks 1

@Morrigan - loved "Finding Your Feet"!  I thought Imelda Staunton was hilarious.

I watched "Mr. and Mrs. Adelman" one night when everyone decided to go to bed at 9pm (in New York????).   It's a French film written, directed and starring Nicolas Bedos (who also composed the music).  I love French films because it forces you to think about things, and this one was quite open-ended.  Very open to multiple interpretations of a story that spans the life of a famous writer and his wife, the editor of his writing.  You go through their courtship, marriage, divorce and reunion, while taking in the success of his writing and their strange children.  The story actually gives you two different re-tellings of this life from the POV of the same person, which makes it quite interesting as it attempts to answer the question, "...how did the husband die..."  I have my own opinion of this, which might not be one that the director intended.  Or maybe he did?  It's a fascinating story and I loved it.

• Like 1

I watched "You Were Never Really Here" with Joaquin Phoenix in lead role.  This was one of those films where there is very little dialogue - it focuses on Joe (Phoenix) , his PTSD from the military, and his CPTSD from his abusive childhood - I thought - in a very convincing way.  However the storyline in the present time was sparse and rather unlikely - ie he plays a hitman who rescues trafficked young girls and returns them to their parents.   He forms a bond with one such young girl and much of the film is about what happens.  

On the whole, I quite liked the film but it wouldn't make it into my DVD collection.  

YWNRH_3-feature-1600x900-c-default.jpg

I saw "The Avengers: End Game" over the weekend.  

Now I've seen most of the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) films that are associated with "End Game", with the exception of the 1st Thor film, along with "Doctor Strange" (I don't do whitewashing).  You don't necessarily have to see any of the individual character MCU films as "End Game" does a quick job summarizing the key characters.  However, you do have to watch "The Avengers:  Infinity Wars" for "End Game" to make any sense, as both films represent a 2-part story.  I dislike this sort of film, but it is the trend.  Also, both films are quite long and involve the minor films involving key Avengers characters (Captain America, Iron Man, Thor, Black Panther, Captain Marvel and Hulk).  

Overall, "The Avengers:  End Game" is a great way to wrap up this series.  Captain America is the only film I've liked in this series, as the character was well-down and the actor vocally despises Trump.  The latter probably shouldn't be a thing in weighing the value of these films, but it is for me.  Little o' petty me.  Anyway, I like Thor for being pretty empty headed, but dislike Ironman and don't understand why Gwenyth Paltrow ended up in this film in such a significant way.  I have no interest in her character, much less the character's future.  I think in this, the directors and writers play too much on their real life affection for the actors, and it is a detriment to the storyline.  The film literally remains fluffy and gives you lots of extra information you probably don't need, until you get to the part where the film's characters try to undo the evil that was brought about in "Infinity Wars".  This is when the film becomes really really good, and I enjoyed the battles, banter and the ending for Captain America.  I don't really care much for the other characters, except for Black Panther, Guardians of the Galaxy and probably Thor. Maybe Spiderman.  

Because of late MCU entry Captain Marvel, men don't dominate this story.   The film is pretty gender neutral.  But like everything else in Hollywood, it's void of significant Asian and Hispanic characters.   However, that hasn't stopped white nationalist sites from condemning the film for the death of white super heroes.  I take it that none of them read the comic series.  Reading is fundamental, y'all.

I just don't want this to become a THING where Disney keeps making this same film for newer generation.  It's a definite moneymaker for Disney, as it made well over a billion dollars on the opening weekend, along with a strong gag order to not reveal the ending to others who had not seen the movie. 

Yesterday I went to see "Red Joan", a film about communist infiltration of the student body at Cambridge University in the late 30's early 40's.

It's based on a true story. 

Judy Dench stars but local lad Tom Hughes is the dastardly (and handsome) devil who leads her astray in the late 1930's.

A number of years ago a "suburban housewife", in her eighties was arrested for spying and passing information about the H bomb to the Russians (who were by this time our allies in WW2), she was let off in deference to her great age, and lived into her 90's.

A fascinating little film and very enjoyable.

Last week we went to see another "small film" (I don't like blockbusters) called "Wild Rose", it was about a lass from the poorer part of Glasgow who always wanted to go to Nashville and be a star. Things didn't quite work out like that, but it had a happy (non Hollywood) ending.

Julie Walters and the wonderful Sophie Okenedo co starred with Jessie Buckley as the lead. If that's really Jessie Buckley singing I'm really impressed with her voice.

Edited by cestrian
  • Like 1

I saw "Godzilla, King of the Monsters" at the movies.  I don't set the bar very high on these movies, and Sam forewarned me that it would be nothing more than a monster battle royal.

'

So how could they screw it up sooooo horribly?

First of all, Godzilla has this gigantic body and tiny face that looks like Gamera, movie's most famous flying turtle not of the Godzilla universe.  His radiation breath shoots out like it's coming out of a mega-pressurized paintball gun.  Moreover, it is more like electricity, and nothing like radiation.

Second, this is not an original movie.  They ripped off different elements from past Godzilla movies in the form of Godzilla's nuclear meltdown and the old oxygen destroyer from the first movie.  The biggest rip, however, was the "The Avengers:  Infinity Wars" and "The Avengers: End Game" storylines.  Warner Bros. hasn't been able to counter the monstrous success of Disney's Avenger series, so why not just borrow the Thanos storyline?

Third, Mothra and Rodan were never enemies.  They were always friends.  

Fourth, the only monsters they brought over from Japan are Mothra, Rodan and King Ghidorah.  They made 14 other monsters, and I don't care to know them. Plus, WHERE WAS KING KONG?

Fifth, VERY LITTLE action.  This is a monster movie, and not scenes from Shakespeare.  Keep the story basic, dialogue low and bring out the monsters.

Sixth, this film is unnecessarily loud.  This was the 2D, un-souped up version.  It was so obnoxiously loud that it woke me up from my nap.

Finally, and most importantly, Godzilla is seen as a "titan".  He is one of many titans to roam the earth, formed in Atlantis and yadda yah.  I don't understand why American Godzilla movies NEVER acknowledge the fact that this monster came from American nuclear bomb and testing.  In the 1998(?) Godzilla, the monster was created from French nuclear testing.  The 2nd Godzilla movie never explained the origins.  In this one, Godzilla is from Atlantis.  I forget the rest.  

Godzilla isn't a titan.  He is a monster, an anomaly to earth that exists because of radiation.  There is a possibility that this monster may someday exist in real life because of Fukushima Daichis ("Shin Godzilla"), atomic bombs (original "Godzilla") and the Godzilla from Bikini Island testing of the 60s.  Radiation mutates, which is why -- aside from the rubber suit -- Godzilla is interesting.  Without that backstory, this titan Godzilla becomes nothing more than a mythical unicorn.  A really really boring unicorn.

Unfortunately, I think this film was written by a New York Yankees fan.  Poor @DaveA - Fenway Park is destroyed.

• Like 2

The way the Sox are playing lately, it might be a good time to destroy Fenway Park. 🤬

• Haha 2

Hahaha! @Anna, your "Godzilla: King of Monsters" review made me chuckle! Tiny face, gigantic body, and how dare the loud music wake you up from the peaceful and very necessary escape of a nap!

I shall not be rushing to see this.. I have "Shin Godzilla" on my watchlist and shall certainly be watching this movie first!

@DaveA.. haha, love the reply!

I saw "Always Be My Maybe", a film written by Ali Wong, Randall Park and Michael Golamco.  Both Won and Park also star in the film.  

This film has been released via Netflix, which might make Steven Spielberg's head explode.  Good.  There are great movies coming out from Netflix and Amazon, exploring subjects and themes that big studios won't distribute.  

"Always Be My Maybe" is a romcom, which is my least favorite of all film genres.  However, I really love Randall Park, who was so awesome in "Ant Man and The Wasp".  Also, the film is set in the San Francisco Richmond district, which is where @Rebel77 and I spent our teen years.    This film is the most accurate depiction of Asian American life in San Francisco, from the loud Cantonese, the language school and love of food with a ton of people. 

The highlight of this film is Keanu Reeves, who plays himself.  Reeves is an icon in our community for being one of us, although I've never forgiven him for "47 Ronin".  What a dumb movie.   In doing this particular film, Keanu plays every stereotype of his image, all to perfection.  

I also like the very nicely done digs at "Asian fusion" food.  I'm looking at you, Gordon Ramsey.   

There are a lot of cliches that have their own little twist on it.  Overall, it is quite enjoyable.

Yesterday I went to see "Blinded by the Light" at our local cinema, what a lovely heartwarming film (I was Brexited out), based on a true story.

The story of a first generation Pakistani growing up in Luton in the 1980's and dealing with racism, his father's expectations, first love and the English middle class.

He discovers the music of Bruce Springsteen and is obsessed.

It reminded me of "Bend it like Beckham" which had the same director.

• Thanks 1

Hi again (after long absence).  I agree Versailles ... I loved Blinded by the Light and so nice to walk out of a theatre feeling good.

I also saw Yesterday which was ok .. definitely good music but does not bowl you over.

I have to step into the confessional for this review ... I went to see the Downton Abbey movie.  I really liked it ... definitely it is made for DA fans.

I saw Rocketman (twice) because it is the best musical I have seen in years.  The dancing was amazing, so many times you feel like leaping out of your seat and joining them.  I like the way they presented Elton John telling his story,  via AA meetings over the years.  Thoughtful.  I would highly recommend the movie.  All the acting was great, the music was outstanding and they slid a lot of bits of songs in here and there.

I just saw Ad Astra and found it very boring.   When I was leaving the theatre I heard two guys comparing how many times they fell asleep.

Via Amazon I watched  "Don't Worry He Won't Get Far on Foot" with Joaquin Pheonix.  I really enjoyed it.  Gus Van Sant directed it.  I would recommend it.  I rewatched "A Beautiful Boy" .. which I think I already recommended way back.  It was even better on the second viewing.   Steve Carrell was amazing in his role as the dad of an addict.  I would highly recomend it for anyone who has had a friend or family member who was an addict. 

This weekend I am going to see Joker ... we will see how that goes.

• Like 3

@Morgen - I would be interested in seeing your review of "Joker".  It has caused quite a stir here.  For years, Warner Bros. has not been able to compete against Disney's Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU).  

I saw a few films, so here goes:

Ma - (with Olivia Spencer)  This is your standard horror film, of sorts.  It is an upgrade to the usual horror themes, but it throws in a whole bunch of other things in the mix. I think if this film was less of a cliche, it would have more potential.  However, Hollywood films just seem to be all about retreading old themes.  They should look to Scandinavian and Japanese horror, as those countries have excelled in advancing the genre in some pretty odd ways.  Olivia Spencer is a great actress, but was unable to generate any sympathy.  In fact, I didn't like any character in this film.  Allison Janey also appears in a bit role here.   Both women are wasted here, to be honest.  

Child's Play - This is a remake of the classic 80s horror film.  It's better than the original, as Chucky is now a doll version of Amazon's Alexa and Ring products.  I thought the film was pretty funny.  

Annabelle Comes Home - This is a HUGE improvement on the other films in this series, as it centers around that "evil room" in the home of the exorcist couple, Ed and Lorraine Warren.  These demons are attached to material objects, and the "evil room" is filled with these possessed item.  Annabelle, a weird looking doll possessed by a peculiarly malevolent spirits, is one of the Warren's most sinister objects in the "evil room".  She sits in a display case behind holy Catholic glass (I didn't know this even existed), but is finally freed when an overly curious teenager steals the house keys to enter the forbidden evil room.   This isn't a great film, but it is much better than the garbage films that this particular doll has spawned.  

• Agree 1

22 hours ago, Morgen said:

Hi again (after long absence).  I agree Versailles ... I loved Blinded by the Light and so nice to walk out of a theatre feeling good.

I also saw Yesterday which was ok .. definitely good music but does not bowl you over.

I have to step into the confessional for this review ... I went to see the Downton Abbey movie.  I really liked it ... definitely it is made for DA fans.

I saw Rocketman (twice) because it is the best musical I have seen in years.  The dancing was amazing, so many times you feel like leaping out of your seat and joining them.  I like the way they presented Elton John telling his story,  via AA meetings over the years.  Thoughtful.  I would highly recommend the movie.  All the acting was great, the music was outstanding and they slid a lot of bits of songs in here and there.

22 hours ago, Morgen said:

Hi Morgen - 'twas me who went to see "Blinded by the Light" - I fancied seeing "Yesterday" too, but had to hang around waiting for workmen, ditto "Rocketman" - I'm sure I'll get to see both of them soon and I'm looking forward to going to the "flicks" again soon.

I fancy the "Downton Abbey" film but I'll have to go on my own as nobody I know wants to see it 😕 . 

2 hours ago, Anna said:

@Morgen - I would be interested in seeing your review of "Joker".  It has caused quite a stir here.  For years, Warner Bros. has not been able to compete against Disney's Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU).  

I saw a few films, so here goes:

Ma - (with Olivia Spencer)  This is your standard horror film, of sorts.  It is an upgrade to the usual horror themes, but it throws in a whole bunch of other things in the mix. I think if this film was less of a cliche, it would have more potential.  However, Hollywood films just seem to be all about retreading old themes.  They should look to Scandinavian and Japanese horror, as those countries have excelled in advancing the genre in some pretty odd ways.  Olivia Spencer is a great actress, but was unable to generate any sympathy.  In fact, I didn't like any character in this film.  Allison Janey also appears in a bit role here.   Both women are wasted here, to be honest.  

Child's Play - This is a remake of the classic 80s horror film.  It's better than the original, as Chucky is now a doll version of Amazon's Alexa and Ring products.  I thought the film was pretty funny.  

Annabelle Comes Home - This is a HUGE improvement on the other films in this series, as it centers around that "evil room" in the home of the exorcist couple, Ed and Lorraine Warren.  These demons are attached to material objects, and the "evil room" is filled with these possessed item.  Annabelle, a weird looking doll possessed by a peculiarly malevolent spirits, is one of the Warren's most sinister objects in the "evil room".  She sits in a display case behind holy Catholic glass (I didn't know this even existed), but is finally freed when an overly curious teenager steals the house keys to enter the forbidden evil room.   This isn't a great film, but it is much better than the garbage films that this particular doll has spawned.  

I am not a horror movie fan.   I am going to see the Joker just to see Joaquin.   It is definitely getting mixed reviews but my expectations are not high.   Nothing could cap Heath Ledger in the Dark Night.

17 minutes ago, cestrian said:

Oops sorry I see my mistake.  I always go to the movie on my own so I am accustomed to it.   So definitely go see DA.. . the whole theatre was right into it.

Hi there, Morgen.  How's things out in BC?😉

Speaking of horror movies, we recently watched "Phantom of the Opera", the Gerard Butler version. Does that count???😩

• Haha 1

As it was raining as usual at the moment in south east England, and has been for the last 2 mths, I watched a film yesterday afternoon - "All Is True" (2018) starring Kenneth Branagh (complete with prosthetic nose which I found a bit off putting) as William Shakespeare in the final chapter of his life.  The action all takes place after he returns to his wife and family in Stratford, after the Globe theatre burned down in London.  

In real life, Shakespeare's wife was 8 yrs older than him - in the film she is played magnificently by Judi Dench, who at 84 is 24 yrs older than Branagh!   It was a very good portrait of a dysfunctional family, in my opinion.  Nothing really happened much, in the film, apart from them all working things out between themselves.  There was a good deal of resentment on the part of his wife and younger daughter, who had been deserted for many years while he lived in London.  Also, the boy twin of the younger daughter had died aged 11, but Branagh had left the mourning work until he returned home, and quite a few revelations come out, about this boy, and the children's relationship to Shakespeare, during the course of the film.

154413311-9eb2903a-9267-4db7-a9a2-54cd4d8187ff.jpg

• Like 2

I went to see the Joker last Saturday.   The film is excellent .. not going to be everyone's cup of tea.  Regarding the controversy surrounding the violence, honestly I think that has been overblown.  I am sure it was more regarding the anniversary of the shooting in CO.  The violence in this movie looks like a Disney film in comparison to Quentin Tarantino movies.  Also the violence is not drawn out and given reverence like QT does.

This is all about Joaquin Phoenix's acting.  If you like him then you definitely want to see this movie.  His acting is so real you can see his own demons coming  out.  This is not a batman movie.  They are about one hour in before Gotham City is even mentioned and at one point we meet the young Bruce Wayne.

This is a deep examination into one man's mental illness and the factors that trigger him.   I heard that the movie was compared to Taxi Driver .. I do not see that.  I also heard it compared to King of Comedy.  They use the same type of setting and of course DeNiro great in the role.   The difference here is that the DeNiro character actually sought out the Arthur Fleck (Joker).. not the other way around.  JP's acting was the best ever and there is no need to compare his performance to Heath Ledger's .. they were both excellent and there is no comparison between the two movies.   Watch a trailer if you have not seen one.

• Like 1

I watched Venus (2017) a Canadian comedy drama about a male to female transgender woman who is transitioning and discovers that 15 yrs ago she fathered a son with an ex girlfriend.  It is a really gentle, effective film and funny too.  The lead character is from an Punjabi Indian family - the dad is kind and sympathetic but the mum is a bit of a nightmare and wants her son back.  The 14 yr old lad doesn't tell his actual mum that he is seeing his biological father for most of the film, which creates some of the dramatic tension.  In my opinion, films like this where the transgender person is likeable and sympathetic, do far more for the cause than being hectored and lectured by the transgender community and told we must call ourselves "cis women".    Anyhow, it was a good film and enjoyable.  

Venus.jpg

• Like 2

Two reviews ... Motherless Brooklyn and The Good Liar.   I think I am less picky than the critics as I liked both of these movies.  Motherless Brooklyn I would recommend to any fans of Edward Norton, as he produced, directed and starred in it.  It is set in New York City, 1957.  Norton plays a gumshoe with Tourette's syndrome which works well throughout the whole movie.  Maybe not a 5 star movie but you do not guess where the movie is going.   The soundtrack is outstanding.  So many times I was sorry I was in the theatre and not at home as wished I could rewind that song and listen to it again.  

The Good Liar stars Helen Mirren and Ian McKellen so you do think how can you go wrong just to see these two together.   The acting was good, the plot a little thin maybe.  I read a lot of mysteries and that might have factored as I think it was kind of obvious where it was all going to end.  Also there were so many TV ads for this movie and, as usual, I think they give away too much.   Not a five star movie but worth watching.

Going to see Knives Out next weekend.

Knives Out .. fun movie with a few cool twists.   I would not have hyped it up as high as the critics did but I usually disagree with them.  They did not like Bohemian Rhapsody or the Joker either and I loved both those movies.

I watched "Charlie Says" a 2018 movie about the Manson gang - focusing on the three women who got jailed for their part in the Sharon Tate murders - and the woman who teaches them different subjects and tries in her own small way to rehabilitate them a bit and challenge their brainwashing by Manson.  Two British actors play Manson and the lead female role, Leslie Van Houten - Matt Smith and Hannah Murray - the latter most recently seen in Game of Thrones playing Gilly. 

ifcfilm-IFCENT_SF30347-Full-Image_GalleryCover-en-US-1558634625165._UY500_UX667_RI_V69Z5As9UtgvUxQgFtFf7zO56I1TExWx_TTW_.jpg

A friend wanted to see Cats, so we went last night. I was aware of the many negative reviews since release and the fact it seems to be doing badly financially. 

I actually enjoyed the film..maybe because I loved the Andrew Lloyd Webber stage shows that I have seen. 

The first time was in Sydney and we stayed at a cute place called the Russell Hotel. Purrfect ! 

Anyways some of the negative comments about the movie referenced the unnerving costumes, the half human- half feline furry breasts.  I can’t see much difference between the film costumes and those in the stage productions.

I have read that the computer graphic work looked second rate or as though post production was rushed.

Summing up ... to me, your average  punter ..I thought the dancing was wonderful, and I liked watching the likes of Taylor Swift perform, especially enjoyed Jennifer Hudson’s amazing version of the main song “Memory”. 

E8580DA6-3829-404A-969B-51E759381C3E.thumb.jpeg.7fb60a7279bf3a8fbfa9c3a3d42412a4.jpegD5700E46-F0FB-405C-9AD7-CD43F1E6E3A5.thumb.jpeg.772c87cc3ab54249d9c5038683016a4c.jpeg

I watched "Swimming with Men" a 2018 British comedy of a similar kind to "The Full Monty" - if you liked that, you'll love this.  It has a lot of laughs and is also quite touching.  It follows an accountant (Rob Brydon) having a mid life crisis, who joins a group of amateur synchronised swimmers.  Quite a few well known actors including Rupert Graves, Jim Carter (from Downton), Charlotte Riley, and Daniel Mays.  

They end up entering an international competition - as you do.  

SWMBlogHeader.jpg