Will be fiddling with the site. If you encounter problems, please DM or send email to admin@ziboom.com. Thanks! ×
Sign in to follow this  
Morrigan

Do you complain about poor service?

I do now, much more so than when I was younger. One example which has just been happening, we got a leak in our conservatory roof at the beginning of November. This was new in 2013, and still under guarantee, the company had also installed new windows throughout the house when we moved in, and new French doors in our dining room.

I had trouble with arranging a date for the section to be resealed, they promised to call me and didn't. After calling them and getting a date, they failed to turn up, or to notify us that they couldn't come that day. I strongly suspected that the young male receptionist was not passing on messages, especially when I asked him to have the company owner call me. Consequently I wrote a very stern letter of complaint, threatening to contact the trade body the company belonged to, and sent it marked Private and by registered post, to the company owner. I had a quick response and now they are now supposed to be coming at 8am Thursday, so we will see!

How are you at complaining? ;-)

I hope they turn up when they have said they will and sort it out pronto, Morrigan.

If I'm not satisfied with a service or product, I usually give staff plenty of opportunities to put it right first, as you did.

If they fail, as they did with you, then I find a courteous letter of complaint to the Company Boss, with a concise summary of events, problems & failings, usually produces results.

With large companies, with an official Complaints Dept, I sometimes send my Complaint to them first, as I know they usually have to log all Complaints & comply with maximum response times and Customer Satisfaction follow up etc. In my previous job, I remember the Complaints Logging System was as closely monitored by the MD as the Sales figures were.

• Like 1

If I pay for a product or service and it is not satisfactory I will ask for the merchant or laborer to make it right. I am polite as I realize people are fallible and if they make good on the mistake then no harm done. However if they are reticent to comply or don't return phone calls or emails, then I pursue the issue until I get compliance.

I take to Twitter when it happens. I think Twitter, far more than Yelp, is an effective tool for complaining as it results in IMMEDIATE response. Companies use social media to publicize their wares, and I mess with the mojo when I fire off a pretty scalding tweet about their service/goods. The threat of turning to social media is also just as effective.

Yesterday, I received a grocery delivery that included spoiled expired milk. This happens all the time. I normally get a refund and delivery credit. Instead, I informed customer service that I would use Yelp and create a blog post about their delivery service, which I believe was a scam to rid themselves of older food. I received the normal credit and refund on delivery, along with a $50 gift certificate to the store.

You have to be careful, though. Phone companies are not always compliant as EVERYBODY rips on them via social media.

• Like 1

I don't hesitate to complain about poor service or products. I've found that the cable companies have the worse customer service. Comcast, in particular, will scrap it out until they wear you out, rather than issue a refund for anything, even services you did not order. In lieu of a refund, they will offer you free months of a premium channel or perhaps a reduction on their DVR fee for X number of months.

The best customer service award goes to Amazon. Much like Anna's experience with the grocer, they are incredibly generous when compensating a loyal customer with a legitimate grievance. In addition to addressing the issue, they have given me free months of Amazon Prime, reimbursed me for products I didn't like, with NO need to return them and then there was last year when two 40 inch TV's, instead of one, were delivered. When I called to inform them of the error, they told me to keep them both, at no additional cost!!

• Like 1

I don't hesitate to complain about poor service or products. I've found that the cable companies have the worse customer service. Comcast, in particular, will scrap it out until they wear you out, rather than issue a refund for anything, even services you did not order. In lieu of a refund, they will offer you free months of a premium channel or perhaps a reduction on their DVR fee for X number of months.

The best customer service award goes to Amazon. Much like Anna's experience with the grocer, they are incredibly generous when compensating a loyal customer with a legitimate grievance. In addition to addressing the issue, they have given me free months of Amazon Prime, reimbursed me for products I didn't like, with NO need to return them and then there was last year when two 40 inch TV's, instead of one, were delivered. When I called to inform them of the error, they told me to keep them both, at no additional cost!!

I agree with you there, Sandy, about Amazon. I have had exceptional customer service from them. I think it probably helps that I have been a customer since 2001, and rarely a month goes by when I don't order a handful of stuff from them. Like you, my daughter has had them extend her Prime for about 6 mths, because things haven't arrived on the designated day.

I take to Twitter when it happens. I think Twitter, far more than Yelp, is an effective tool for complaining as it results in IMMEDIATE response. Companies use social media to publicize their wares, and I mess with the mojo when I fire off a pretty scalding tweet about their service/goods. The threat of turning to social media is also just as effective.

Yesterday, I received a grocery delivery that included spoiled expired milk. This happens all the time. I normally get a refund and delivery credit. Instead, I informed customer service that I would use Yelp and create a blog post about their delivery service, which I believe was a scam to rid themselves of older food. I received the normal credit and refund on delivery, along with a $50 gift certificate to the store.

You have to be careful, though. Phone companies are not always compliant as EVERYBODY rips on them via social media.

Oooh! I felt a sharp intake of breath when I read this!

It sounds like you would only do this after you'd exhausted the other channels of complaint, or if the problem keeps recurring, which is fair enough.

Some of my family are in the hotel & restaurant industry and it really upsets them when customers take to Social Media to complain, when they haven't given them an opportunity to put things right by mentioning their dissatisfaction to staff at the time or even sent a complaint in later.

I'm sure you wouldn't do this but lots of people do.

Actually, this thread has just reminded me of a complaint I made about 40 years ago.

I was eating some organic breakfast muesli, produced by a well respected British organic food company, when I discovered a dried mouse tail!

It was pretty obvious what it was - so obviously, there was no way I was going to eat the rest of that muesli!

I packed up the remaining muesli package and returned it to the company, with a letter of complaint.

I imagined that the company would send me a goodie box full of lots of products or some compensation - but all they sent me was an apology and a voucher for a free bag of muesli - I never redeemed that voucher, because, somehow, I didn't fancy eating that particular brand of muesli again!

:puke:

• Like 1

Actually, this thread has just reminded me of a complaint I made about 40 years ago.

I was eating some organic breakfast muesli, produced by a well respected British organic food company, when I discovered a dried mouse tail!

It was pretty obvious what it was - so obviously, there was no way I was going to eat the rest of that muesli!

I packed up the remaining muesli package and returned it to the company, with a letter of complaint.

I imagined that the company would send me a goodie box full of lots of products or some compensation - but all they sent me was an apology and a voucher for a free bag of muesli - I never redeemed that voucher, because, somehow, I didn't fancy eating that particular brand of muesli again!

Were you able to ascertain if the tail was from an organically fed mouse? If it wasn't , you had a case for false advertising!!!

You have to be careful not to be the boy that cried wolf, so I don't do this unless I have to. There is also the fact that I have people following me on Twitter, and I do not subject people to unnecessary Twitter wars.

I do not complain about is small business. If they never fix things, it's just better not to spend money on them. I also don't leave restaurant reviews. The one thing that bugs me are uppity people who complain about the quality of American sushi v. Japanese sushi, not understanding that restaurants HAVE to adjust the palate to stay competitive. This is why most foreigners will complain that Chinese food is better in their country than in China. Food is adjusted for local tastes.

I only go after large chains who deserve it. Even then, I only stick to the offending branch whose customer service is appalling.

Most of my Twitter complaints are directed at airlines, but I am also generous with Twitter compliments. Virgin America and I are Twitter friends.

Ah, Dave, your comment really did make me lol! In fact, I'm still giggling! Given that little mousie must have been stuffing himself on the organically produced ingredients when his body parts were set asunder by the oat rolling mills, or whatever, I expect he was being organically fed!!! Oh, bless his little cotton socks. I hope he didn't suffer much.

Oh dear I don't think I can bear to even think about that!!

Jenny - - My wife and I were in a grocery store today and, although not looking for it, I came upon packages of muesli. In this case it was ''Bob's Red Mill'' brand. I burst out laughing and when my wife asked what was so funny I told her that I was looking through the clear portion of the package for mouse remains. An explanation followed but her comment was similar to you and Rose - - -sympathy for the poor mouse. :)

I saw this and thought about this wonderful thread.  

Lots of restaurant owners/managers often visit during meals to ask our opinion, and I always try to compliment them -- unless it's really bad (those are the ones that never visit).  I usually respond favorably, but I don't do it for a discount.  Would you?  

EIXoBKKWwAIQcDH?format=jpg&name=large

58 minutes ago, Anna said:

I saw this and thought about this wonderful thread.  

Lots of restaurant owners/managers often visit during meals to ask our opinion, and I always try to compliment them -- unless it's really bad (those are the ones that never visit).  I usually respond favorably, but I don't do it for a discount.  Would you?  

EIXoBKKWwAIQcDH?format=jpg&name=large

I think that Instagram poster with an alleged 11,000 followers is disgusting - and a manipulator.  I can't believe he gave the manager  great feedback about the food he was served, then unfairly gave the restaurant 1 star when it deserved 5, only because he didn't profit for praising the food.  Clearly he was trolling for a discount.

"Cheap management and customer service?"  Not!  He is probably that guy who, after spending money on a date, gets angry when he doesn't get laid. 

• Haha 1