Will be fiddling with the site. If you encounter problems, please DM or send email to admin@ziboom.com. Thanks! ×
Sign in to follow this  
Morrigan

What's the most recent thing you enjoyed on TV?

Starting a general thread here, so people can chip in with good programmes they have seen. I saw the Storyville production "The Work - Four Days to Redemption".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09c1rch

This was a programme about a 4 day long group therapy workshop that took place in Folsom prison, California. Apparently this is a regular thing they run, inviting male members of the public to participate, along with prisoners who mostly are serving very long sentences for violent crimes. It was difficult to watch at times, but also moving, as both prisoners and public participants delved into their most pressing internal issues.

I did wonder at times, just how it was going to help the prisoners - because a lot of them were never again going to experience life outside the prison, nor be able to resolve issues involving family, which was a recurring theme. However, they seemed to get a lot out of it, regardless. May have been quite hard for some of them going back to the constraints of prison life, after experiencing this, I thought.

I just finished watching a mini-series called "HIM", which I believe is produced by ITV. It is free for Amazon Premier users, if you'd like to see it.

HIM is a story of a boy who has "powers" that allow him to move objects. This is not Uri Gellers spoon bending, as the story will point out. This is on the scale of Samantha in "Bewitched", without the humor and odd neighbor and dumb boss. HIM, however, is mostly about his relationship with his parents and extended family. Both parents have divorced and remarried, and there are other children in the mix.

I really enjoyed this program. I don't watch much network TV, but have been semi-absorbed with "American Horror Story" until they destroyed it by inviting Lady Gaga to join the cast. I briefly watched "The Strain" until I realized it was a vampire thing. I hate that. However, HIM is quite wonderful for telling a story without making it too outlandish, which is a favorite thing for American productions to do. This is a brainy way to present a very fascinating topic, and this makes everything about it so believable.

Also, great acting and casting. Why can't basic American shows have this diverse casting?

• Like 1

The most recent thing I've started watching is a series called Outlander.

It was a TV Series although I'm watching it on DVD. My sister was talking about it last week and was surprised to learn I'd never read the books or seen the TV Series, because she knew it was the kind of thing I'd enjoy. The day after our conversation, I received a surprise package from my generous sister (via Amazon) containing Series 1 and 2.

I don't know how this series passed me by when it was serialised on TV because two of my favourite themes are historical drama and time travel - and this series has both!

I've watched 5 episodes up to now and there's lots more to watch - I'm loving it and having to resist the urge to binge-watch!

I just finished watching a mini-series called "HIM", which I believe is produced by ITV. It is free for Amazon Premier users, if you'd like to see it.

HIM is a story of a boy who has "powers" that allow him to move objects. This is not Uri Gellers spoon bending, as the story will point out. This is on the scale of Samantha in "Bewitched", without the humor and odd neighbor and dumb boss. HIM, however, is mostly about his relationship with his parents and extended family. Both parents have divorced and remarried, and there are other children in the mix.

I really enjoyed this program. I don't watch much network TV, but have been semi-absorbed with "American Horror Story" until they destroyed it by inviting Lady Gaga to join the cast. I briefly watched "The Strain" until I realized it was a vampire thing. I hate that. However, HIM is quite wonderful for telling a story without making it too outlandish, which is a favorite thing for American productions to do. This is a brainy way to present a very fascinating topic, and this makes everything about it so believable.

Also, great acting and casting. Why can't basic American shows have this diverse casting?

I have just downloaded this to watch episode 1.

It was a TV Series although I'm watching it on DVD. My sister was talking about it last week and was surprised to learn I'd never read the books or seen the TV Series, because she knew it was the kind of thing I'd enjoy. The day after our conversation, I received a surprise package from my generous sister (via Amazon) containing Series 1 and 2.

I don't know how this series passed me by when it was serialised on TV because two of my favourite themes are historical drama and time travel - and this series has both!

I've watched 5 episodes up to now and there's lots more to watch - I'm loving it and having to resist the urge to binge-watch!

I watched the first few episodes of this, and quite enjoyed them, but it started to lose me about episode 3 or 4. I would be interested to know whether she ever got back to the 20th century or not!

Oo let me know what you think!

I haven't got up to watching that part yet but when my sister was telling me about this series, she did her usual trick of giving me 'too much information' - there's no 'spoiler alerts' with my sis - she opens her mouth and out it all comes, even though I tried to stop her in mid flow several times!

So, here's a SPOILER ALERT!

I know she does get back to the 1940s - eventually! She may not stay there, though.

To say I enjoyed this might be stretching it, but I just saw Louis Theroux's documentary "Talking to Anorexia" which had special significance for me because I did my dissertation on behavioural approaches to treating anorexia, many years ago.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/proginfo/2017/44/louis-theroux-anorexia

Theroux's interviewing style is brilliant as with all his documentaries, he is respectful, insightful, but always gently probes and asks the questions the audience wants him to ask. Some of which might not be altogether comfortable for those being interviewed.

Several of his interviewees spoke at length about feelings of not feeling worthy to have food, one - a woman in her 60s who'd had the condition for 40 years, spoke about not having wanted to grow up, and anorexia was a way of avoiding the responsibilities of adulthood.

It is the psychiatric illness with the worst mortality rate, many people with the condition end up losing their lives, usually from heart failure. If they do recover, it is often not a full recovery, and in fact the clinical approach these days often focuses on partial recovery - ie negotiating with the patient about minimum requirements they need to meet in order to have at least some quality of life.

• Like 2

Just this evening we watched the 1983 English-American version of "Pirates of Penzance" starring Kevin Kline, Angela Lansbury, Rex Smith, and Linda Ronstadt. Good music and a barrel of laughs. We've watched a few times over the years but not recently. As always, an enjoyable couple of hours.

• Like 1

I am overdosing on a couple of documentaries about Queen Victoria ... most of them portraying her as much prettier than she was as a young woman, but they all seem to get it right when she wore those widows weeds in later life.

She must have had an intimate relationship with the Scottish servant John Brown, otherwise why would the family allow a memento of him to be placed in her coffin, as well as that plaster cast of Prince Albert's hand that she sleep with from his death.

Edited by Versailles

To say I enjoyed this might be stretching it, but I just saw Louis Theroux's documentary "Talking to Anorexia" which had special significance for me because I did my dissertation on behavioural approaches to treating anorexia, many years ago.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/proginfo/2017/44/louis-theroux-anorexia

Theroux's interviewing style is brilliant as with all his documentaries, he is respectful, insightful, but always gently probes and asks the questions the audience wants him to ask. Some of which might not be altogether comfortable for those being interviewed.

Several of his interviewees spoke at length about feelings of not feeling worthy to have food, one - a woman in her 60s who'd had the condition for 40 years, spoke about not having wanted to grow up, and anorexia was a way of avoiding the responsibilities of adulthood.

It is the psychiatric illness with the worst mortality rate, many people with the condition end up losing their lives, usually from heart failure. If they do recover, it is often not a full recovery, and in fact the clinical approach these days often focuses on partial recovery - ie negotiating with the patient about minimum requirements they need to meet in order to have at least some quality of life.

I watched this documentary too and found it very insightful. I agree with what you say about Louis Theroux. I have watched most of his current series of documentaries and have gained a deeper understanding of the lifestyle and behaviours of the people he has interviewed. LT's documentaries always leave me with much food for thought.

I am overdosing on a couple of documentaries about Queen Victoria ... most of them portraying her as much prettier than she was as a young woman, but they all seem to get it right when she wore those widows weeds in later life.

She must have had an intimate relationship with the Scottish servant John Brown, otherwise why would the family allow a memento of him to be placed in her coffin, as well as that plaster cast of Prince Albert's hand that she sleep with from his death.

From what I have read in the past, I don't think the family were aware that mementos of John Brown were placed in the coffin.

Queen Victoria had left detailed instructions with her Personal Physician, James Reid, about the items she wanted placed in her coffin. The items relating to John Brown (lock of hair and his Mother's ring, which he had given to Victoria) were placed in the coffin by Reid and he also placed the photo of Brown in her hand after the family had left the room, then covered it with flowers so it would not be seen.

I have the impression that information came from Reid or his family but it's difficult to know how accurate this claim is because James Reid left instructions for his own Diary and Journals of events to be be burned after his own death.

We just finished "Worst Bakers in America", a multi-episode food competition show on The Food Network.

In general, I dislike food competition shows because of the food waste -- always thrown away as if there is an endless supply of these items -- and the snooty remarks about canned foods.

This show, however, was pretty charming. For once, they picked some funny contestants with character that you could root for, and none of them seemed like sandbaggers -- which you do see on other food competitions. Also, none appeared to be actors -- another problem I have with food competitions. I also liked the hosts, who weren't the usual mean and smug chefs you normally get on The Food Network. One was a very tall and gorgeous woman (Lorraine Pascal) from England. She was really personable and quite funny.

Overall, we really enjoyed this particular series.

This documentary I mentioned on another thread. It is about the Tragically Hip and a lot about what turned out to be their last tour. There is a lot of focus in on the fans and I think we all needed it, in a way, to say goodbye to Gord Downie. As he was in life everything was shared and this was a tribute not just to him but to all of us. RIP Gord.

This is well worth watching.

The most recent thing(s) I enjoyed most on TV were Games No. 2, 3 and 5 of the World Series. I hope to add the final championship Game No.7 to that list tonight.

• Like 1

The most recent thing(s) I enjoyed most on TV were Games No. 2, 3 and 5 of the World Series. I hope to add the final championship Game No.7 to that list tonight.

And I'm sure that you enjoyed that final 5 - 1 win over the Dodgers. First WS for the Astros. Congratulations, Sandy.

I am enjoying the new BBC adaptation of E M Forster's "Howard's End" - it stars Hayley Attwell, I think she is a good actress. There have been criticisms that it is not true to the period, and there is intrusive music on the soundtrack, neither thing has bothered me. I like it better than the film version.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09g9nr8

• Like 1

Wasn't there an older version of "Howard's End" back in the 1990's? Emma Thompson and Anthony Hopkins are the two actors that I remember.

I have been really enjoying the Voice (US) this season and love Janice Freeman. I was engrossed in the Vietnam series. Now for free I have BCC Earth for one month and I love that channel, got totally into a program on becoming an astronaut. And recently we just started getting the BBC series Back to the Country and I love that ... your scenery is amazing @Morrigan and @Baldrick. I cannot afford any of those houses but very fun to watch.
  • Like 2

[quote name='Morgen' timestamp='1511363743']I have been really enjoying the Voice (US) this season and love Janice Freeman. I was engrossed in the Vietnam series. Now for free I have BCC Earth for one month and I love that channel, got totally into a program on becoming an astronaut. And recently we just started getting the BBC series Back to the Country and I love that ... your scenery is amazing @Morrigan and @Baldrick. I cannot afford any of those houses but very fun to watch.[/quote] @Morgen, I've watched every episode of The Voice since Season 1, but you may be the first person I know who also watches it. Janice Freeman was Number 22 on the iTunes chart Tuesday morning. The only 2 ahead of her were Chloe Kohanski and Addison Agen. btw: iTunes, when viewed the day after the live performances, is a great predictor of who will remain in the competition. I've seen years when up to 5 contestants were in iTunes top 10. I think we will see that again in a couple of weeks.

I watched "The Detectorists" last night.............a lovely gentle comedy about two friends and their metal detecting "adventures".

McKenzie Crook and Toby Jones....................brilliant.

In last night's episode there was a slow motion chase down a country lane trying to beat two rival detectorists to the spot they wanted to search.

• Like 1

I watched "The Detectorists" last night.............a lovely gentle comedy about two friends and their metal detecting "adventures".

In last night's episode there was a slow motion chase down a country lane trying to beat two rival detectorists to the spot they wanted to search.

Did you see Series 1 and 2 of this, cestrian? We thought Series 1 was the best - 2, and 3 so far - haven't quite matched up, but still some nice moments. It is filmed near one of our favourite holiday areas - the village of Framlingham in Suffolk, not far from Sutton Hoo.

I caught up with series 1 a bit late Morrigan, but I've seen them all now.

We just watched ep 1 of "Hard Sun" a 6 part drama on BBC about a solar flare that is going to annihilate life on earth in 5 years time. The very interesting thing is that, in 2012, there WAS a solar flare of such magnitude that it tore through the earth's orbit, luckily the earth wasn't there at the time, but if it had happened a week before, as NASA put it "we would still be picking up the pieces". It wasn't widely reported until 2014. Makes you think - there is a lot they don't tell us plebs.

https://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2014/23jul_superstorm

• Like 2