Will be fiddling with the site. If you encounter problems, please DM or send email to admin@ziboom.com. Thanks! ×
Sign in to follow this  
Morrigan

What's the most recent thing you enjoyed on TV?

Last week, over 3 nights, we watched 2 versions of "Howard's End."  It has always been a favorite of ours.

First we watched the 2017-18 four part mini-series starring Matthew McFadyen, Hayley Atwell, Phillipa Coulthard, and Tracey Ullman.  We followed this by watching the 1992 version, which was a "one-nighter," and had Emma Thompson, Anthony Hopkins, Helena Bonham Carter, and Vanessa Redgrave making up the leads.

We had seen the 1992  movie a couple of times in the past, but for the other this was the first time.  Our preference was for the earlier version but both were enjoyable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I saw "Leaving Neverland" while working on the site today.  This is the 4-hour documentary detailing Michael Jackson's seduction and sexual activity with two of his small children "friends".  There is also an accompanying interview with Oprah Winfrey that I do not recommend, unless you want to punch some walls.  

This is not an easy documentary to watch, especially for anyone who has been abused.  However, it does an excellent job of pointing out the psychology of an abused child, the absence of a linear time line of events, how abuse is recollected and the shame of the incidences that remove small children from a childhood that they should be enjoying.  I wasn't planning on watching this because of the controversy, but decided to take a chance after so many artists began to withdraw their support from Michael Jackson.  

The two victims of the abuse, who are featured in "Leaving Neverland", are part of the post-Thriller era of Jackson's career.  As his victims point out, there is no real way to figure know how many children were really involved.  What is known is that Jackson's insidious way of seducing families, the slow way in which he begins to separate child from parents and then the way in which he coerces the children to maintain secrecy well into adulthood.   In all this, I think the stories of abuse also center around the mothers who traveled with their child, who was being sexually abused by Jackson.  They were under the same spell as their children, and Neverland Ranch just seemed to be a fancier version of that hidden underground clubhouse from "The Lovely Bones".  

@DaveA like you I enjoyed both versions of Howard's End.  I slightly preferred the more recent one.  

@Anna I watched the entire 4 hours of the Leaving Neverland documentary, it made very difficult watching, but I felt I had a duty to stick with it.  I was left in absolutely no doubt that the two men were telling the truth about Michael Jackson's abuse of them when they were very young children.   Their whole families were groomed but I do feel that the 2 mothers must bear a large chunk of responsiblity for not safeguarding their young sons.  

I threw out my Michael Jackson Number 1's CD yesterday - I don't think I will ever be able to listen to his music again.  

The documentary maker Louis Theroux - who is quite high profile in the UK, had this to tweet:

Louis TherouxVerified account @louistheroux

If you can’t see that Michael Jackson was a paedophile after watching @danreed1000 ‘s film you are being wilfully blind. And if you are campaigning against it you are actively colluding in the silencing of victims.

8:11 am - 7 Mar 2019
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Morrigan said:

@Anna I watched the entire 4 hours of the Leaving Neverland documentary, it made very difficult watching, but I felt I had a duty to stick with it.  I was left in absolutely no doubt that the two men were telling the truth about Michael Jackson's abuse of them when they were very young children.   Their whole families were groomed but I do feel that the 2 mothers must bear a large chunk of responsiblity for not safeguarding their young sons.  

This is a very important point.

A friend reminded me that the son of a mutual friend used to play with a child who used to visit Jackson at Neverland on the weekend.  This child would only socialize with our friend's child for some reason, although watching "Leaving Neverland" made this part pretty clear.  In any case, our friend questioned this child's mother about allowing her son to sleep with Michael Jackson.  That mother's only response?  "BUT THIS IS MICHAEL JACKSON".  

I don't have a child so I'm not sure about the logistics of these things.   My mother was more than willing to farm me out to other families because she didn't want to watch me.  I think THIS factor broke my heart when it came from these two children, who were abused by Jackson.  I mean, they literally farmed their children out to a pedophile without batting an eye.  For as abusive as my mother was, at least I went to the family of childhood friends or with family members.

Quite so, Anna.   I can only shake my head at the incredible naivete, of the mothers, at allowing their very young children to be in the sole care of a man - and indeed sleeping in his bed, without asking some very hard questions.  Any adult man who surrounds himself with small children 24/7 to the exclusion of friends or partners of his own age group, immediately has to be very suspect.  

I find myself also wondering about the marriage of Jackson to Lisa Marie Presley - what in heaven's name was that all about?  Surely she cannot have needed the money?  Maybe it was just a joint publicity stunt?  

There is no doubt in my mind that Jackson was the worst kind of predatory paedophile, protected by his almost godlike status.   

• Thanks 1

Tried to get back to "'The Outlander" again last night, after a couple of weeks away from the series.  An episode from (I think) season 3.  They're at an island somewhere maybe Jamaica? but at least hey made it through this episode without anyone having to take 20 minutes of looking into each others eyes, stripping down, and banging away, although they couldn't get away from the incessant staring. 😂  That was it for me.  My wife was more tolerant than I but I think I'm finished.

Edited by DaveA

On 1/24/2019 at 5:17 AM, Morrigan said:

I have started watching a new American sci fi series The Passage, on Channel Fox, based on books by Justin Cronin. It focuses on Project Noah, a secret medical facility where scientists are experimenting with a dangerous virus that could lead to the cure for all disease, but also carries the potential to wipe out the human race.

Scientists are losing their sense of perspective, and instruct an agent to kidnap an orphaned child for them to experiment upon. The agent however, (Mark-Paul Gosselaar) who has been bereaved of his own child, takes pity on the young girl and goes on the run with her, to rescue her from her fate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Passage_(TV_series)

MV5BNjcyMjA2MjUwMF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMDA3OTY3NjM@._V1_.jpg

I liked The Passage, and then it took a turn. 

I'm not sure there will be a season 2. 

Star Trek Discovery continues to exceed expectations!

I mean, I figured out early on that Michael Burnham was the Red Angel. 

And I was wrong. Of course. 

image.png.fee8c2fa502601893fa7816b59cb11e9.png

Looooovvvee it!

Edited by Winva

On 3/23/2019 at 7:41 PM, Winva said:

I'm not sure there will be a season 2. 

I continued with The Passage - to the end, @Winva but the quality deteriorated, I felt, after the first few episodes.  And the way it ended would mean that it would have to be a very different storyline to the first series, if there was a follow up.  I don't think I would watch another series.  

I started watching a serialised remake of "The Name of the Rose" on BBC1, set in a monastery in 14th century northern Italy in the middle of winter.  Some will remember the original film starring Sean Connery and Christian Slater, made in 1986

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091605/

The 2019 version stars John Turturro as William de Baskerville, and he does a good enough job in Sean Connery's old role.  The new serial is nearly as atmospheric as the film, but I have only seen one episode so it remains to be seen how well it fares going forward. 

the-name-of-the-rose.jpg

• Like 1

We are just about to watch the last three episodes of season 3 - -"The Crown".   We've enjoyed it and realize that the truth may be distorted a bit (as it is in most docu-dramas -here in the US or in the UK)to improve the program, but probably only Brits can tell what's true and what's not.  The change of actors commencing in Season 3 was a bit off-putting but necessary to cover all of the years of the tale.

• Like 1

I've never been a "Strictly Come Dancing" fan, but since I saw Kelvin and Oti in the first show when Kelvin was a last minute contestant after somebody else dropped out I've been watching some of it. Last night Kelvin and Oti won and I'm not surprised. They both really look as if they're enjoying it and the chemistry between the two of them is obvious.

They got a perfect score from the judges and the public vote clinched it.

I hope this video shows, it was on youtube and that's usually O.K.

• Like 1

We have recently "binge watched" the 1975  TV series, "Edward the VII", and the 1978 series "Lily", portraying the life of Lily Langtry.  Enjoyed both of these productions and had watched them years ago.

• Like 2

Sam and I finally watched season 3 of "Stranger Things".  The kids are well into their teenage years, and all but three have split into couples.  Watching those interactions were delightful, because the show re-created the 80s shopping mall and teenage romance themes of that time so well.

Anyway, I really enjoyed this season.  The Russians are the bad guys, perfectly reflecting every Cold War fear of the 80s.  This is the only horror genre show I really like right now.  I think Fox's run of horror shows, outside of the first four seasons of "American Horror Story", have been quite boring.

11 hours ago, DaveA said:

We have recently "binge watched" the 1975  TV series, "Edward the VII", and the 1978 series "Lily", portraying the life of Lily Langtry.  Enjoyed both of these productions and had watched them years ago.

Her ex- husband is buried in Overleigh Cemetary Chester.

Edward Langtry

Birthdate: February 14, 1846
Death: October 16, 1897 (51)
Asylum for the Insane, Chester, Cheshire West and Chester, UK (It is supposed that Mr. Langtry was suffering from concussion of the brain, due to falling down the gangway of the steamer on which he traveled from Dublin to Holyhead.) citation_note.gif?1374109798
Place of Burial: Chester, UK
Immediate Family:

Son of Richard Langtry
Husband of Jane Frances Price
Ex-husband of Lillie / Emilie le Breton

• Like 1

I don't watch TV.

I really don't and we haven't had a TV in the lounge for about 30 years now. Have watched a few DVD series on the laptop (24, Lost, Mad Men and Breaking Bad), but that's about it. 

However, I read this review by a journalist that I admire and decided to take a look. It's a live televised stage production by a UK theatre company. 

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/dec/23/the-goes-wrong-show-review-a-terribly-brilliant-festive-farce

The Christmas show was amazing and I saw the latest episode tonight. It's the best thing I've watched for many years. Folks in the UK will be able to see it ok, but it may not be available elsewhere.