Will be fiddling with the site. If you encounter problems, please DM or send email to admin@ziboom.com. Thanks! ×
Sign in to follow this  
Versailles

Hot town - Summer in the City

January to March in Perth W.Australia - Too hot to sit out even under the shade at midday, but perfect in the early morning watching all the birds fly in to have a drink from the many birdbaths and fountains I have dotted about the garden. Not quite The Alhambra, but the Arabs and Spaniards had the right idea about introducing a water feature into a garden in hot climes.

Of course they adore the figs and apricots too, but at least left me all the lemons to make an icy Sicilian Granita drink.

6a427dc38e063f2c9c6d905b3a3870b6.jpg.d61d3672e63f7f6e1e279d9c3295445c.jpg

c7c6d2a02c6e77f2f506ecdbbf9d9fa4.thumb.jpg.18de88e1fc5bda58d946a0b27af031e4.jpg

• Like 2

At times I am very envious of your location - especially now in the midst of the wettest winter East Anglia has seen for a number of years. However as I've got older I am not so good at tolerating very hot weather - can't believe I used to lie out and bake myself for 5 hours at a time in younger days. How lovely though to be able to grow such exotic fruits. @Baldrick tells me of when he lived in Africa (age 3-13) and they used to have papaya and avocado trees. Oh my!
  • Like 1

[quote name='Morrigan' timestamp='1516959964']At times I am very envious of your location - especially now in the midst of the wettest winter East Anglia has seen for a number of years. However as I've got older I am not so good at tolerating very hot weather - can't believe I used to lie out and bake myself for 5 hours at a time in younger days. How lovely though to be able to grow such exotic fruits. @Baldrick tells me of when he lived in Africa (age 3-13) and they used to have papaya and avocado trees. Oh my! [/quote] We have a very similar climate here to many parts of Africa - a hot but dry heat. Tell Baldrick I planted a small avocado tree in the garden of our first home...circa 1974. Someone else is now enjoying a huge crop of Hass avocado. (Sigh)

@Versailles, wanna trade summers? A summer that lasts only 3 months (January to March) with dry heat, to boot, is a walk in the park compared to our 6 to 7 month summers, with triple digit temperatures and humidity, to match. Can you fry eggs on the sidewalk? We can. As my neighbor puts it, "Some years you think that you have died and gone to Hell." The only saving grace is that we may be the most air conditioned city on the planet. We step out of air conditioned vehicles into air conditioned buildings and vica versa. Houston built the first ever domed air conditioned sports stadium nearly 60 years ago. It was named the Astrodome and was billed as "The 8th Wonder of The World." I wouldn't surprise me if someday we built the 9th Wonder of The World - a dome over the entire city, with a retractable roof for those few glorious days during winter months.
  • Like 1

What lovely figs!

My in-laws spent three weeks or so in Australia while my MIL was working for Boeing. They absolutely loved the country and the people.

• Like 1

A bit of warm (not hot) weather would be nice right now. Our temps have been 20F through 55F for the last couple of weeks. Before that, we had a week of 0F to 20F - -not pleasant but as Sandy mentions, the A/C takes care of the heat as do heaters take care of the cold. I prefer to be surrounded by a 70F world, and for the most part, I can. Regardless of outside temps. our house is at, or just under 70, the climate control on the car is set at 70F, both winter and summer, and most business establishments are in that range. If you can excuse the dash from your house to car and then to the store, when you get there, it matters little what the temp is. I should note that it's not so easy if you are employed outside. I had many years of that and few fond memories of either winter or summer..

For a number of years, we spent Jan. through early April in Florida, and absolutely loved it, then back north for the remaining three distinct seasons.

• Like 2

[quote name='Anna' timestamp='1517001349']What lovely figs! My in-laws spent three weeks or so in Australia while my MIL was working for Boeing. They absolutely loved the country and the people.[/quote] @Anna I saw some figs in the store today $2.50 AUD each - they are easy to grow but have a short shelf life and bruise easily. ..... I am sitting here n a goldmine !

Finally, the first ever Bromeliad bloom from my tropical plant. It must have heard me muttering that I would be transplanting it soon if it did not produce a flower.

Now to let the Clivias overhear my threats !

ded29d3d96a0c1b8594f9969dbfba43e.jpg.060995d1ca9a00996eb6ebb7f4797401.jpg

Finally, the first ever Bromeliad bloom from my tropical plant. It must have heard me muttering that I would be transplanting it soon if it did not produce a flower.

Now to let the Clivias overhear my threats !

Talk soothingly to it, Versailles. Seems I recall a book written sometime ago, describing how plants thrived when subjected to soothing music 24/7 and less so when exposed to constant jarring music.

Based on this, cursing would probably cause it to wither up and die, overnight!!!

Another year, another bumper fig crop. 

this year we are not bothering to make fig jam (with a diabetic in the family). 

We have eaten them raw for dessert, in salads and even stewed them for cereal in the morning. 

We  have given away lots of figs to relatives, friends, people at the gym, my hairdresser ! 

maybe next year I should try to dehydrate them as I do like to eat dried figs.

2265020F-CCAB-40BD-9F42-C3D83A4424CB.thumb.jpeg.942aaf96deb48b8c3bfe6fe61d8be02a.jpeg

• Like 1