Will be fiddling with the site. If you encounter problems, please DM or send email to admin@ziboom.com. Thanks! ×
Sign in to follow this  
Morrigan

Benefits of older age

Some of the surprising gifts of age include deepening acceptance of ourselves and of others, imperfections and all; a growing sense of being embedded in something greater than ourselves (gerotranscendence); an increasing ability to find ingenious solutions to complex and important problems; and enhanced capacities for contentment (even in trying circumstances) and for enjoying simple pleasures.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/gb/blog/the-gift-aging/201808/surprising-gifts-later-life

Which of these (plus any others) do you find applicable to yourself?

For myself, the main one is definitely having more confidence to stick to my guns over things and not care about peer pressure. I was always a bit like this but have become more so. Also, enjoying simple pleasures and not worrying about the future.

clean-toilet.jpg

• Like 2

More benefits of growing older:

1. Kidnappers are not very interested in you.

2. In a hostage situation you are likely to be released first.

3. No one expects you to run into a burning building.

4. People call at 9 p.m. and ask, "Did I wake you?"

5. People no longer view you as a hypochondriac.

6. There's nothing left to learn the hard way.

7. Things you buy now won't wear out.

8. You can eat dinner at 4 p.m.

9. You can live without sex (but not without glasses).

10. You enjoy hearing about other people's operations.

11. You get into a heated argument about pension plans.

12. You have a party and the neighbours don't even realize it.

13. You no longer think of speed limits as a challenge.

14. You quit trying to hold your stomach in, no matter who walks into the room.

15. You sing along with the elevator music.

16. Your eyes won't get much worse.

17. Your investment in health insurance is finally beginning to pay off.

18. Your joints are more accurate meteorologists than the National Weather Service.

19. Your secrets are safe with your friends because they can't remember them either.

20. Your supply of brain cells is finally down to a manageable size.

21. You can't remember who sent you this.

• Like 2

I am definitely the man in that picture. I used to be the woman as I sought low key vengeance. I stopped doing that a long time ago because demanding justice is fruitless. I guess that is something I learned through aging.

With regard to this observation of, "The work of Dean Simonton, Gene Cohen, and others provides evidence for the elder’s remarkable ability to find ingenious and effective ways for dealing with complex and important problems. And Erik Erikson, Jean Bolen, and others have observed the late-life trend to pare down one’s life, to relinquish non-essentials, and to devote oneself to what holds the most value and meaning – whether that entails pursuing a long-deferred dream; being a compassionate, non-violent advocate for those suffering injustice; or completing important unfinished business with significant others and coming to terms with oneself and the life one has lived." I wish this was true, but it definitely is not. The Trump followers are most definitely older Americans who have allowed life and miscellaneous bitterness to swallow them whole. There is no compassion when it comes to stopping financial institutions from destroying young people, whether through inaccessibility to health insurance or enormous student loans. It seems to be a case of "well, we got ours. Now you're going to walk your 20 miles to school" mentality, with no though that progressing the country might actually benefit everyone instead of the few.

• Like 2

Oh come on now, there is no real benefit to getting older ... even cockeyed optimists must concede that increasing illness, fragility and approaching death are nothing to look forward to.

I don’t like getting older one bit -sure I don’t have to work now and I can go on longer vacations but apart from that I would have to search hard to find any things I like about the ageing process.

Sure we come to accept that our bodies are flawed ..we have no choice ! the evidence is there in the mirror. it doesn’t really matter whether we have come to terms with that extra weight, greying hair on our head, black hairs appearing on our chin..cos no one else is looking or gives two hoots about our appearance either.

• Like 1

I don't agree, @Versailles - ie that there is no real benefit to getting older - I agree in terms of certain sections of the community - eg if you have a chronic health condition which is slowly getting worse - or if you are one of the growing band of women AND men, that invest a huge amount in looking young, and go to great lengths to preserve the illusion of youth - both physically and financially - then, no - maybe not. But (and I don't want this to sound morbid) I actually am quite thankful that I only have another maybe 20 or 25 years to live. I have nothing left to prove, I don't have to go out to work any longer in order to have money to live, and I don't have the future stretching out endlessly in front of me any longer thinking - "how in heaven's name am I going to fill THAT?" My life hasn't been that wonderful that I would want to prolong it beyond a certain point - and in many ways (mainly in terms of mental health) it has been quite a trial at times. So I certainly wouldn't want to go back to being 20, 40 or even 50.

Oh come on now, there is no real benefit to getting older ... even cockeyed optimists must concede that increasing illness, fragility and approaching death are nothing to look forward to.

I don’t like getting older one bit -sure I don’t have to work now and I can go on longer vacations but apart from that I would have to search hard to find any things I like about the ageing process.

Sure we come to accept that our bodies are flawed ..we have no choice ! the evidence is there in the mirror. it doesn’t really matter whether we have come to terms with that extra weight, greying hair on our head, black hairs appearing on our chin..cos no one else is looking or gives two hoots about our appearance either.

What? You're growing hair on your chin. too, even while the hair on your head becomes thinner and leg/underarm hair is gradually disappearing?

Hahaha. I like your thoughts Morrigan, until you mentioned the "maybe 20 or 25 years to live".

If I'm lucky, I only have to fill up about 5 and if I'm still here after that, I'll just be a babbling old man slumped in a chair (some days I'm close to that now). Please, spare me the Aunt Matilda stories, those folks who are still drinking a pint a day and smoking like a chimney, at 105. They're out there but most of us would be foolish to expect that to be the norm.

I think that rather than being "thankful", you should be rejoicing, looking at the fresh world ahead, leaving behind many of the chores and troubles that we couldn't escape when younger. 20-25 fulfilling years!!

I only wish that my wife and I could live these last 25 years over and over. They have been wonderful and I hope that yours will be the same.

• Like 1