Will be fiddling with the site. If you encounter problems, please DM or send email to admin@ziboom.com. Thanks! ×
Sign in to follow this  
Sandy

Why Are Many People On The Internet So Angry?

"Third, it's easier to be nasty in writing than in speech, ..."

There's a lot to unpack in this statement alone. So much is lost when thoughts are translated to paper: Inflection and tone, timing, body language, facial expression and so on and so on. A simple throw-away comment takes on a permanence it sometimes ought not have. A fleeting brain spasm is forever displayed for interpretation and judgement and judgement and judgement... and once it's out there the owner may tend to defend rather than apologize, back it up, sometimes/often doubling down before backing down.

This, I think, is how a lot of trolling escalates. Otherwise "nice" people are personally and self righteously offended that something trite they wrote could be "taken out of context" and things quickly devolve from there. My point is that I'm not sure most people are intentionally nastier online or even intentionally nasty period. Flippant sure, callous even, definitely careless a lot, snarky and more. It is harder, I suppose, to know a person's frame of mind, to understand contextually everything going on in their brain at the time of the writing.

Which is why best-selling authors are realtively few among us.

And then, of course, there are the truly evil f***s.

My sister used to spend her days trolling people online. She isn't the only one. Some people get a kick out of picking apart your post, even if they agree to the content of what has been written. That's how some people get their kicks. However if they do it enough, you understand their MO and just put those people on /ignore. They hate that.

There are others who will gangbang you with their friends chiming in agreement while insulting you at the same time. I remember that happened on Buzz in one particular long thread about the word "jap". That sort of behavior doesn't drive me away from the boards, but I am always willing to expose people for being the racists that they are. They just don't realize it because they're too busy trying to insult you at the same time.

I think opening this site will bring about a great deal of people who do not agree with what we say. The one thing I can say about ZiBoom is that the people here are rational and pretty well balanced. We lean to the center left or left, but not to the extremes. Many people who post -- especially in our age group, which this site does cater to -- do not fit our way of thinking. However, I think we've set up certain parameters here to avoid people for going off the grid with their ideas. It's not "thought police" but more of a "quit being stupid police". You can disagree all you want, but you can't do stuff like put up multiple posts about the same subject with no intention of ever engaging in conversation. Those people are just interested in expressing their ideas without wanting to listen to yours, and I have dinged multiple people for that.

However, we do have to listen to people with dissenting opinions that are willing to engage in conversation, even if the tone is bland, boring or super heated. That is part of board life and if people follow the rules, our community has to allow it if we want to hope to survive. However, there is no room for harassment, stalking and nastiness.

Deliberately being an asshole isn't going to be a ZiBoom feature.

• Like 2

There's a lot to unpack in this statement alone. So much is lost when thoughts are translated to paper: Inflection and tone, timing, body language, facial expression and so on and so on. A simple throw-away comment takes on a permanence it sometimes ought not have. A fleeting brain spasm is forever displayed for interpretation and judgement and judgement and judgement... and once it's out there the owner may tend to defend rather than apologize, back it up, sometimes/often doubling down before backing down.

This, I think, is how a lot of trolling escalates. Otherwise "nice" people are personally and self righteously offended that something trite they wrote could be "taken out of context" and things quickly devolve from there. My point is that I'm not sure most people are intentionally nastier online or even intentionally nasty period. Flippant sure, callous even, definitely careless a lot, snarky and more. It is harder, I suppose, to know a person's frame of mind, to understand contextually everything going on in their brain at the time of the writing.

My sister used to spend her days trolling people online. She isn't the only one. Some people get a kick out of picking apart your post, even if they agree to the content of what has been written. That's how some people get their kicks. However if they do it enough, you understand their MO and just put those people on /ignore. They hate that.

There are others who will gangbang you with their friends chiming in agreement while insulting you at the same time. I remember that happened on Buzz in one particular long thread about the word "jap". That sort of behavior doesn't drive me away from the boards, but I am always willing to expose people for being the racists that they are. They just don't realize it because they're too busy trying to insult you at the same time.

I think opening this site will bring about a great deal of people who do not agree with what we say. The one thing I can say about ZiBoom is that the people here are rational and pretty well balanced. We lean to the center left or left, but not to the extremes. Many people who post -- especially in our age group, which this site does cater to -- do not fit our way of thinking. However, I think we've set up certain parameters here to avoid people for going off the grid with their ideas. It's not "thought police" but more of a "quit being stupid police". You can disagree all you want, but you can't do stuff like put up multiple posts about the same subject with no intention of ever engaging in conversation. Those people are just interested in expressing their ideas without wanting to listen to yours, and I have dinged multiple people for that.

However, we do have to listen to people with dissenting opinions that are willing to engage in conversation, even if the tone is bland, boring or super heated. That is part of board life and if people follow the rules, our community has to allow it if we want to hope to survive. However, there is no room for harassment, stalking and nastiness.

Pity I can't "like" this twice, haha.

We left a church because of a racist couple the church had been complacent with for decades. I and my kids were the only people of color there. The couple was pushed out after we left and now the wife (a good God fearing Christian lady) trolls my wife on FB.

I think that there are a lot more anxious and aggressive people in the world these days and the internet brings out the worst in them and may encourage more rational and laid back types to engage in bad online behaviour too.

I have not witnessed any disruptive or argumentative behaviour on Ziboom, but I sometimes wonder when posters just disappear and go ... was it something that was said in a chat room or PM ?

I view Ziboom as a chance to learn new things, engage briefly with people in other countries and talk about common interests. I have never engaged in the tit for tat postings that I have seen on other forums in the past ... I say what I have to say (if I feel I have a definite opinion on a subject) I rarely revisit that topic that same day, so I would not see or respond straight away if someone thought what I said was absolutely incorrect or utter rubbish.

I guess if if we had some gun loving, Trump supporters who hated gays and thought all Aussies were uneducated hicks then I might get some flack - but to date I have avoided flaming missives being aimed at me.

In the interest of being "open", I want you all to know that when I'm visiting ZiBoom, I always remove my gun from the desktop, give it a hug, and place in a closed drawer. :)