Will be fiddling with the site. If you encounter problems, please DM or send email to admin@ziboom.com. Thanks! ×
Sign in to follow this  
Winva

(Real) Zombie Apocalypse

The New Zealand mass shooting and talk in the US of another civil war bring to mind a conversation I had with a guy who sells guns some time ago. It was after another American massacre (I forget which one) we were talking about, well... guns. And the culture of guns, and some of the ideas that perpetuate the proliferation of guns in the US, specifically the idea of  being prepared and of "prepping". They are two similar concepts, the difference is one of degree. Owning a gun (or guns) and convincing yourself that you're prepared to use it in defense of your home is one thing, even if the reality of your neighborhood's crime statistics belie the need for lethal force home protection. The desire to stockpile weapons in the event of some imaginary apocalypse is another thing altogether and requires a different mindset. I mean, a zombie apocalypse? Really?

Well... yes. Really. 

Shocked? So was I.

"You know the 'apocalypse' is just a metaphor for any kind of civil unrest right?" That's what he said to me. And then he explained. It turns out that the preppers see themselves as the enlightened ones and we're the dummies. In the event of a catastrophic failure of local government/civil order/you-name-it the preppers i.e. the people with the stockpiles of food etc. will finally be in a (regrettable) position of having to defend their homes with the use of lethal force.  A Russian or Chinese or North Korean or Iranian or ISIS or community college Coding 101 cyber attack  on vital infrastructure seems more and more imminent these days. Even without a conventional or even nuclear war, a country can be crippled, rather quickly, it seems. And then we are left scrambling and waiting for either rescue or death. But not the preppers, they will be vindicated, and ready to defend, not the weak, the unprepared scared folk, their neighbors and friends per se, just defend in general and with lethal force. 

And what about the zombies? I asked that question. I understand societal meltdown, but why keep talking about zombies (or at least entertaining the idea) it makes preppers seem crazy, doesn't it? It's a metaphor remember. If the preppers are the smart ones then the zombies are the rest of us who didn't plan ahead and who now roam the streets clueless. Get it? And if you're black zombie looters or white zombies "finding food" you're fair game for the well prepared and the well armed! 

There is a line though, that has to be crossed mentally. And the people making these arguments don't usually express these interconnected ideas so blatantly. I think he was just tired of me simply not getting it. Here's the line: one has to make the transition in thinking from 1) buying guns and pretending you'll need them sometime in the wild future; to 2) fantasizing about shooting human beings for sport. And that's exactly what it is. My friend would never admit he's a sick f**k. And I'd never tell him that, he has guns! But there it is. And he's not alone. I tried to talk to him another time about the romanticizing and fetishizing of guns in this country. I didn't get anywhere, he couldn't get the concepts. He's stuck in the stockpiling stage and the wishing/not-wishing for a chance to be right. And to kill people. He and all his gun-loving, doomsday prepping, big screen TV/off the grid expert ilk.

Meanwhile what are the rest of us doing? What are we supposed to do? Pray that nothing happens? And if something does happen, then what? Become the zombies?  

... I don't know, man. I just live here.

Interesting read, Winva, and sadly, it makes sense.  many of the folks stocking up on ammo and weapons live in relatively safe areas (about 95 % of the country IMHO) and without this crazed thinking, have little need for a self defense arsenal.

After reading  articles in The Rifleman, the NRA's monthly mag., I've come to the conclusion that people without any weapons are much safer.  The people writing in to The Rifleman, and gun nuts on various forums, are constantly being accosted no matter where they are. Their homes are being invaded, they're being car-jacked, you name it.  At the same time, the rest of us travel from Maine to Florida or anywhere else in the country, strangely never being attacked or finding a need to defend ourselves.   Seems like a strange phenomenon but it is what it is.

• Like 1

@Winva  sorry I missed this new thread yesterday, it is a very interesting one.   I think that stockpiling weapons - to me anyhow - is quite a different thing from "Prepping" where people prepare for a breakdown in society such that the normal methods of buying food and supplies don't work any more.   Of course, to a degree the things might overlap as you would almost certainly get a breakdown in law and order if food supplies suddenly stopped.    And this would probably happen frighteningly quickly, too.  

In 1906, Alfred Henry Lewis stated, “There are only nine meals between mankind and anarchy.”   https://internationalman.com/articles/nine-meals-from-anarchy/

My brother's ex wife had a holiday cottage in Cornwall which I stayed in a few times, and she used to have a stockpile of medicine and canned foods there plus a crossbow, which she knew how to use, in case of such an event.  The house was an old converted tin mine in the woods, with a stream running by for water. I can see where she was coming from, but I am not sure what use "prepping" is going to be unless you are a serious wild man/woman with all sorts of hunting, fishing skills etc.  

I think the "zombie" thing is possibly something to do with terror from our unconscious that encapsulates all the fears of the unknown and what such a loss of control would entail.  

Personally I do think we may face some sort of an apocalypse in my lifetime, but from a flu pandemic.  The WHO is headlining this atm, on its website.  

https://www.who.int/news-room/feature-stories/detail/8-things-to-know-about-pandemic-influenza

You would be surprised just how fast society would break down over something as simple as a extended power failure so build that bomb shelter stock it with food and water and arm yourself with a gun and silver bullets just in case a Warewolf visits..you need to be prepared for anything !