Will be fiddling with the site. If you encounter problems, please DM or send email to admin@ziboom.com. Thanks! ×
Sign in to follow this  
cestrian

The separation of church and state.

It always struck me as odd that the U.S.A technically has this, yet the Christian Fundamentalists have a great amount of power.

Meanwhile - back in the U.K. where the Queen is the head of the Church of England, and Bishops sit in our Upper Chamber ( the House of Lords), religion is  rarely mentioned except by Islamophobic knuckle draggers and there aren't that many of those thank goodness. 

The Chancellor of the Exchequer (possibly the second highest position in Boris's Govt.) is Sajid Javid - a Muslim.

The American right have it in for Sadiq Khan because he's a Muslim yet no mention of Javid. They seem convinced that we're being taken over by "Muslamics", quite honestly most of us don't care what religion our politicians are as long as they do a good job.

I await the American racist's heads exploding when they find out about Javid 🤣

The Aussies seem to keep state and church separate too.

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure America will continue to be a Christian nation as long as people continue to believe the ultimate bullshit line, "Hate the sin, love the sinner."  Only the first half of the statement ever applies anyway.

I actually think Trump and his ilk have poisoned the evangelical message, and that is a good thing.  As long as religion and politics are intertwined, both messages will be fraught with a mixture of bad religion-based policies and guilt.  Bush was better at hiding greed, war and guns behind a religious message.  Trump, not at all.  

American churches are still largely segregated.  The white evangelical churches are the ones that are supporting Trump.  Black churches DO NOT.  There are also multi-ethnic churches, or other born again churches, who have people who represent a mix of ideologies.  I don't think American politics will ever be free of religion because of this.

• Like 1

Here is a good example of how religion and politics serve to bamboozle the public.

Matt Schaefer is a member of the Texas House of Representatives.  He also receives money from the NRA.  Replacing $$ with "blessing" has been a long-standing practice with overly religious politicians.  With two mass murders in his state in less than a month, this is his response to the devastation.

EDZVHmLXoAECsUV?format=jpg&name=large

• Sad 1