Will be fiddling with the site. If you encounter problems, please DM or send email to admin@ziboom.com. Thanks! ×
Sandy

Annoying TV Commercials

Jim Adler, the "Texas Handler" has been hammering for accident victims for over 40 years, championing “the little guy” against big corporations and insurance companies. 

His TV ads are truly cringe worthy. What commercials make you want to throw something at the TV screen?

Sorry - when I tried to add the video to the above post, what I got instead was a boxed copy of my original post - AND I can't delete that mess.  I'll try again to insert the video:

HAHAHAHA I like the growl in his voice.  It's pretty funny, but would get annoying REAL FAST.

What I get annoyed by is demographic targeted ads, which make sense until you realize what that targeting is doing.  I used to watch the Cleveland Cavaliers on NBA ticket (or whatever it is called), and I noticed that they would get the black-only funky black voiced KFC (Kentucky Fried Chicken) hot wings ads that I've ever seen.  

We have our share of crazy attorney ads here.  During SF Giants games, I'd see the ones that would depict re-creations of outrageous accidents.  

This particular ad used to annoy me as a child.  I was a John Brodie fan, but they would play this ad non-stop.  Little did I know that he was pushing scientology.  We get lots of scientology TV ads down here in Smell-A, but I always hated this one:

• Like 1

We hardly watch any live TV at all - only the 6pm news and that is on BBC which doesn't have commercials.   Stuff that we record on our Sky box we can fast forward through commercial breaks.  However, I tend to listen to music a lot on YouTube and there are currently (and for the last few months) a load of commercials - before just about every music track - for Grammarly - an app which helps you with your writing.  You can skip through them after about 10 seconds of the commercial but they are still mighty annoying. 

• Like 2

@Morrigan - I now get commercials on any and every YouTube video I access, so was relieved to find the skip commercial button.   I also record any TV program I want to watch on a DVR, so I can fast forward through the commercials.  I figure the commercials take up 15 to 20 minutes of every one hour program.  

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

@Anna - Quarterback John Brody, or anyone, pushing scientology , would annoy the heck out of me.   They are legally recognized as a tax-exempt religion, but they seem more like a cult to me.  

Speaking of athletes in commercials, it surprised and annoyed me this summer when Cy Young award winner, Justin Verlander, was omnipresent in Ford F-10 truck commercials.  Heck, the guy is paid multi millions.  Why is he "moonlighting" in commercials, most especially while still active in sports?

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/o8MX/2019-ford-f-150-iconic-featuring-justin-verlander-t2

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Sandy said:

@Anna - Quarterback John Brody, or anyone, pushing scientology , would annoy the heck out of me.   They are legally recognized as a tax-exempt religion, but they seem more like a cult to me.  

Speaking of athletes in commercials, it surprised and annoyed me this summer when Cy Young award winner, Justin Verlander, was omnipresent in Ford F-10 truck commercials.  Heck, the guy is paid multi millions.  Why is he "moonlighting" in commercials, most especially while still active in sports?

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/o8MX/2019-ford-f-150-iconic-featuring-justin-verlander-t2

I know he's on your team and all, but he's horrible in those commercials.  He and Aaron Rogers are really bad at it.  However, Verlander is better than Rogers, the latter of whom is like a zombie member of the Walking Dead cast.  Willie Mays was also horrible in PSAs for the public library.  So many people in the hood made fun of it when I was a kid.

• Agree 1

Oh yeah...Karz 4 Kidz is really annoying!  

• Agree 1

I don’t watch TV .....

sometimes I sit down to catch the news for 20 minutes on our Australian Government owned station ABC ..so no commercials.  I get most of my news from the paper that we still have delivered daily or on my ipad direct from BBC or Al Jeezera. The rest of the time I might watch a documentary on my ipad with catch up TV ..still no adverts. 

I am finding now that if I go to someone’s home and they have the TV on in the background on a commercial channel, that I am actually intrigued and drawn to watching the adverts ! 

What is the product, where is the advert filmed, or even after a few seconds what are they actually advertising a mountain, climate change, a cafe or a car ?

• Like 2

A bit OT but while I have Versaille's attention - - -

My view of crossing Australia as a continent is - - a beautiful beach,  a few streets with homes, a small section of jungle followed by a couple of thousand miles of uninhabitable desert, then back to the jungle, then the homes, and finally another beautiful beach.

This view was upset by a screen saver pic (shown by our TV carrier) of Australia's Blue Mountains.  A beautiful area of lush green foliage along with the ridges and mountains.  I now have to re-think my view of the country but so much is always  said regarding the endless miles of barren land traveled by people crossing the continent by car?

• Like 2

hi Dave, 

yes Australia is a huge country with thousands of miles of nothing much in between each coastline eg West to East. 

We all tend to live along the coast except for area north of the Tropic of Capricorn as it gets hotter towards the Equator.

You can drive across Australia  -make sure the car has a good engine and airconditioning, spare tyre etc. Be prepared for kangaroos jumping out and damaging the car.  The road  (only 1) has greatly improved since the time in 1973 when I did this journey. 

However in this day of cheaper air travel you would be mad to, as it is so quick eg 5 hours to get from one capital city to the next. 

If you wanted to do a road trip (tourists) or were relocating for work say to Melbourne or Sydney from Perth and had family and belongings  - you might still drive. 

Yes the Blue Mountains is a lovely area just a short train ride from Sydney. 

If someone from overseas asks me for suggestions I always say they should visit Sydney, because from there it is a short drive or flight to other very different areas and climates in Oz.  From the majestic landscapes and cooler weather in Hobart, Tasmania, to tropical beaches and coral reefs in Cairns, Queensland, or the beautiful coastline, vineyards and bustling city around Sydney, NSW. 

I am seriously looking at a 2020 holiday in my own country (with the coronavirus messing up travel plans). I don’t worry about getting it, as much the fact that I would hate flights to be changed, cancelled, or sanctions getting home ..so it seems less stress to have a staycation in the tropics around August and also escape our southern winter. 

• Like 1

How some people see Australia. 

6100E9F8-6785-4311-813C-2725440DBB7D.thumb.jpeg.91e75c561ef0fc20b4005a7f27b0bfd6.jpeg

• Haha 3

Hahaha --That's great, Versailles.   And I thank you for your first hand description of Australia.  The trip by car does sound pretty daunting.   

One of the most annoying commercials at the moment is the one for "Peloton"- if I had that over-enthusiastic twit "encouraging" me to cycle faster I'd be tempted to give him a slap.

Sandy - "Go Compare" have toned down their adverts thank goodness.

• Haha 2

Ces, I thought that ad was kinda funny, in a perverse sort of way.  First, I never would have guessed that the hapless person behind the wheel was a woman and never would have known had the announcer not called "her" Margaret.   Then, I really had to laugh when this heavy car crash victim was so amazingly quick to exit the upside down car, giving an Indian war cry as she tumbled out. 

Finally, I can't fathom why the insurance company made the distinction that policy holders are gifted with 250 pounds extra "when the unexpected happens."  I ask you - are any accidents expected?

I bought into this back in the day.

This...IS A LIE!  I use Palmolive and have a rash on my hands.  I had to move separate soap into the kitchen.