Will be fiddling with the site. If you encounter problems, please DM or send email to admin@ziboom.com. Thanks! ×
Sign in to follow this  
Anna

US Airline seats getting smaller?

Americans are getting larger, and the seats are getting smaller.  I thought they already made them smaller back in 2018, so this is a bit confusing.  I think they are proposing to make them smaller, which is pretty pitiful.  At least they are making seats incline less, which is probably good since passengers will have a smaller space.

I think the concern is with the speed in which passengers would be able to safely exit the plane in case of an emergency.  I remember not moving at all in my seat when my family and I went to New York back in 2018.  I was in between Sam and some groovy guy with the flu who sucked his snot during the entire flight, and there was really no space for any of us to move.  I couldn't even eat my breakfast because I couldn't reach it.  Gaaaaahhhh.

Anyway, this is probably what life is like on Ryanair, or those other nifty lost cost carriers in EU and Asia.  But those planes also are true to low cost, whereas most American carriers will find a way to make you pay.  

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/on-air/as-seen-on/FAA-Tests-Smaller-Airline-Seats_Bay-Area-565641062.html

Gee has anyone from the FAA done the maths ? 

Your citizens are getting larger every year and you want to DECREASE the seat size, so you can cram in more seats in every plane to maximise your profit ? 

I am surprised at how narrow the aisles have also become - on the low cost airlines in particular I feel I have to walk sideways like a crab. 

Worried also about how it is often blocked by a heavy metal trolley being wheeled up and down at drinks, meals, rubbish clear away, gift purchasing ... I know my rear measurements have increased over the last decade because I used to be able to squeeze through by leaning into a spare seat or something.. no hope of that now - once that trolley is wheeled out in economy you are stuck behind it. 

• Like 1

The FAA are okay with this.  I mean, why not.  Didn't they also sign off on the 737 MAX?  

I did see a small info thing on YouTube on how airlines make their money.  Economy exists to transport, but airlines really make their coin from business class.  Since so few fly first, they have managed to phase out that particular class on US domestic.  Also, the major non-low cost airliners have upped their game in business by installing lay back seats on transcontinental routes.  I really liked Delta's Delta One product when I went to New York, as it was a true lay back.  However, the food was AWFUL.  Their premium economy gives you more space, but the food is also awful.  However, you do get overhead cabin space.  I suppose it is worth taking.  

The ones to suffer is economy class.  They don't make money off of you, so don't expect it to be pretty.  It's a ridiculous concept.  I remember taking British Airways from London to Nice on puddle jumper, and had a foot rest at my seat and a snack of a rich ice cream bar.  

I saw this photo on Twitter.  This dog should be in luggage, but I guess they phased that out, too.