Will be fiddling with the site. If you encounter problems, please DM or send email to admin@ziboom.com. Thanks! ×
Sign in to follow this  
Versailles

Living in the past

Yesterday we visited a cafe that I found online in a neighbourhood nearby. 

I absolutely loved it as it was roomy with friendly staff and a nice small menu, but the clincher was that it was a Retro 1950’s style decor place. 

I somehow felt very comforted by the fact that I was surrounded by all this memorabilia from my childhood. 

Each section of the cafe was done out like a room, so you could sit in a kitchen, the lounge room, the dining room, the bar area etc 

There were old comics and magazines to browse. I spent a bit of time pouring over the artefacts and remembering when I thought it was cool to own a burnt orange and avocado green ceramic coffee pot or a corning ware casserole with a little tea light underneath.

I thought it would be a great place to invite a group of my same age gal pals for morning tea but also could be a useful venue for outings of people suffering from dementia. 

Pack my suitcases (without those useful wheels) for time travel backwards....

but Is the past ever as simple and rosy as we seem to remember it ? CF502A75-B970-4043-BA27-76E0E5181D96.thumb.jpeg.c479a72ea1e17d82ab4e4cf8cf0d9226.jpegAC1FE9BD-D5A0-4F76-881F-DCA933AF32A7.thumb.jpeg.e350ceca18b82f25d51378ac54492905.jpeg5F352AEE-F22B-499D-807D-377CE5512495.thumb.jpeg.9593baa6dae1903ef237edb1759f6bc5.jpegF9F9987B-DF2A-4F91-898F-638B4E7F88E3.thumb.jpeg.7ff35840049dfd3fa376df622bb471b0.jpeg

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Versailles said:

Each section of the cafe was done out like a room, so you could sit in a kitchen, the lounge room, the dining room, the bar area etc 

What a wonderful and creative concept for a cafe.  I LUV it!!  I'd want to meet you where you are seated in the kitchen.  And, how about that TV console we can all remember?   In the same room, is that a hair dryer over one of the red chairs?

I agree, that would be a great place to meet for tea with your friends.   However, there can't be many places to serve people, so maybe you need to meet up with one or two friends per visit. 

• Like 1

No @Sandy it was bigger than most coffee shops, the ‘rooms’ were on the outside perimeter, but the whole floor of the interior were laminex or wooden tables and chair sets with plenty of space in between to sit, there were also some lounges and an outside seating area.

I asked and apparently back in the day it was an electrical store - so I imagine a few twin tub washing machines and Hoovers were once sold there.

The owner was a collector of 1950 memorabilia so that is a hair dryer, there are also shelves of the kitsch stuff we used to buy and decorate our homes with. 

The place is often visited by people who love to dress up in costumes of the day..now where is my floral frock ? 

• Like 1

I love the blender for having speed guides on it!   

Yeah remember when everything had manual controls and actually worked like forever.. 

The TV, kitchen appliances, the washing machine.  Clunk, clunk, clunk..select your preferred setting and walk away. 

I had a dishwasher once that had the new computerised type panel and it was a real lemon, constantly breaking down. 

Instead of a home DIY fix or even a call out with a repairman bringing a small part - the whole panel had to be taken out and replaced each time. 

• Like 1