Will be fiddling with the site. If you encounter problems, please DM or send email to admin@ziboom.com. Thanks! ×
Anna

January, 2020 - Schedules, GDT, chatter + NFL playoffs!

My PL team beat my PL6 team, and I am...

so excited dancing GIF

• Haha 2

I guess you are happy then @Anna!! 😉 ...I was going to ask which one you would have prefered to win, but you've answered it well, hahaha, I'm happy they won too even though if the Saints hadn't of won West Ham would now be back above them.. and... I'm very happy my Hammers crushed Bournemouth 4-0 (and I got to watch it televised live!! yeaaaaaaa!!!), we needed it after some abysmal displays of late. A good start on the return of David Moyes on his second stint as our manager..

michigan j frog happy dance GIF

• Like 2

@Frank Beastie Good news on the Hammers!  Overall, a great day!  I believe Stoke City won, too.  Great start since my hockey team lost to the worst hockey team in the league on New Year's Eve.  

@Anna, a nice 5-2 win for Stoke, that's good, they're out of the bottom three now.. West Brom and Leeds drew 1-1 at the top of the Championship so Leeds still lead on goal difference..

Re: Hockey.. What's up with the Sharks this season then?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Frank Beastie said:

@Anna, a nice 5-2 win for Stoke, that's good, they're out of the bottom three now.. West Brom and Leeds drew 1-1 at the top of the Championship so Leeds still lead on goal difference..

Re: Hockey.. What's up with the Sharks this season then?

I don't think the Sharks have a right winter right now.  Also, Joe Pavelski and Jonas Donsokoi signed elsewhere.  I think the Donskoi signing was the more harmful one, but the former coach was misuing him.  He is now shining for the Colorado Avalanche.

Overall, they just look blase and seem to lack a great deal of discipline. Also, Brent Burns is having a HORRIBLE year.  That drop in performance has hurt the Sharks, because he is a big star. Also, we have a horrible goalie problem, but a great deal of the problem can be attributed to Bruns' poor play.   But several others are also underperforming.  They really have to step it up.  They have the talent to do so.  We don't have a top picks for the next 3 years because of the Erik Karlsson and Evander Kane trades.  

• Like 1

Time to preview this weekend's NFL wildcard playoff games.  Here is the schedule:

Saturday, Jan. 4: 
No. 5 Buffalo Bills at No. 4 Houston Texans, 4:35 p.m. (ESPN/ABC) 
No. 6 Tennessee Titans at No. 3 New England Patriots, 8:15 p.m. (CBS) 

Sunday, Jan. 5: 
No. 6 Minnesota Vikings at No. 3 New Orleans Saints, 1:05 p.m. (FOX) 
No. 5 Seattle Seahawks at No. 4 Philadelphia Eagles, 4:40 p.m. (NBC) 

One sportswriter wrote the following. "Just to give you an idea of how crazy things can get during the first weekend of the playoffs, consider this: Underdogs went 4-0 against the spread and 3-1 straight-up last season You can also throw home-field advantage out the window: Home teams are 0-8 against the spread over the past two years.

He goes on to pick 2 underdogs to win this weekend.  He is particularly down on the Patriots for blowing a first round bye, losing to the hapless Dolphins last weekend.  Hence his most shocking prediction is for the Tennessee Titans to beat the 4.5 point favorite Patriots outright.  He is, in fact, very high on the Titans, writing, "Anyway, if you're like most of America and didn't pay very much attention to the Titans this season, let me give you a quick refresher on Tennessee: They had the NFL's leading rusher, they have a wide receiver who averaged more than 20 yards per catch and they have one of the best quarterbacks in the entire league.

He also picks the Buffalo Bills to beat the Texans, noting that the later has one of the worst defenses in the NFL.  And, of course, he picks the favored Wildcard Seahawks to beat Philadelphia, the NFC East division winners, plus the New Orleans Saints to roll over the Minnesota Vikings.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2020-nfl-wild-card-playoff-odds-picks-titans-shock-patriots-in-new-england-bills-upset-texans/

• Like 1

@Sandy - Thanks for adding that!

Hmm...GO IGGLES!  Beat DOWN the Seachickens!

• Like 1

GO EAGLES!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Patriots are finished for this season. They might as well pack up the golf clubs and head out for a relaxing off season.  If they get by Tennessee I'll be surprised but beyond that  --  no hope.  Most of their early season wins came against weak teams and they couldn't even repeat these wins later in the season (think - -Miami)

It's been a great decade for the Pats but looking ahead, i think they'll have their ups and downs like most teams.  These runs at the top come and go for different teams.  The 49ers, Cowboys, Packers, and a few others come to mind.  Teams that were consistently contenders, year after year. 

Belechik - Brady - - -the end of an era!! 

• Agree 1
  • Sad/Cry 1

24 minutes ago, DaveA said:

Patriots are finished for this season. They might as well pack up the golf clubs and head out for a relaxing off season.  If they get by Tennessee I'll be surprised but beyond that  --  no hope.  Most of their early season wins came against weak teams and they couldn't even repeat these wins later in the season (think - -Miami)

It's been a great decade for the Pats but looking ahead, i think they'll have their ups and downs like most teams.  These runs at the top come and go for different teams.  The 49ers, Cowboys, Packers, and a few others come to mind.  Teams that were consistently contenders, year after year. 

Belechik - Brady - - -the end of an era!! 

@Dave - I agree that neither the Patriots nor the Texans will go far in these playoffs.  With Deshaun Watson, the Texans may have a franchise quarterback, but far too often, they fail to protect him.  Plus, their defense is one of the worse in the NFL.  

One big reason is that, at the start of the season, they traded one of the league's best defensive ends, Jadeveon Clowney, to the Seattle Seahawks, where he has been instrumental in winning games.  In fact, I was so disgusted with that stupid trade, I chose the New Orleans Saints as "my" team this year for JDR purposes.

• Like 1

We're onto the Divisional Round of the NFL playoffs, and some of these teams have been here several times. 

For the AFC:

• Tennessee was eliminated in the 2017 Divisional Round by the New England Pats.  
  • This is the 6th post-season appearance by the Baltimore Ravens.  They won the Super Bowl back in 2013.  The Ravens lost in the Wild Card round last year to the Sandy Eggo Chargers.
  • The Kansas City Chefs fell to the New England Pats in last year's Championship Round.  They have made many post-season appearances since 2010, because it is easy to do when the Oakland Raiders are in the same division.
  • The Houston Texans have never made it out of the Divisional Round in the playoffs, so this is their big chance.  

For the NFC:

• The Green Bay Packers' last appearance was in 2016, and they were eliminated in the championship round by the Atlanta Falcons.
  • This will be the 8th appearance by the Seattle Seachickens in the post-season.  They lost to the Dallas Cowboys in the Wild Card round in 2018.
  • The Minnesota Vikings' most impressive appearance in the 2010s was in 2017, when they went all the way to the Championship Round. They lost to the Philadelphia Eagles, who would move on to become the Super Bowl champs for that year.
  • This will be the first playoff appearance by the San Francisco 49ers since 2013, the Jim Hairball era for the team.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Anna said:

For the AFC:

• Tennessee was eliminated in the 2017 Divisional Round by the New England Pats.  
  • This is the 6th post-season appearance by the Baltimore Ravens.  They won the Super Bowl back in 2013.  The Ravens lost in the Wild Card round last year to the Sandy Eggo Chargers.
  • The Kansas City Chefs fell to the New England Pats in last year's Championship Round.  They have made many post-season appearances since 2010, because it is easy to do when the Oakland Raiders are in the same division.
  • The Houston Texans have never made it out of the Divisional Round in the playoffs, so this is their big chance.  

My take on the above - For the AFC:

1.  This year, Tennessee was the AL Wildcard with the poorest win/loss record, but they got payback for 2017 by beating the NE Patriots.

2.   The Ravens may have lost the wildcard round last year, but this year with QB Lamar Jackson, they are a serious contender to win the Super Bowl. 

3.  The Kansas City Chiefs are a much better team this year than they were last year.  

4.  The Houston Texans were down 0-16 to the Buffalo Bills late in the 3rd quarter before they came alive to tie the game and win in overtime.  Still, their quarterback was sacked 8 times and their defense is full of holes.   On the bright side, they are lucky that the Tennessee Titans, and not them, will face the Ravens next week.  Plus, they did beat KC early in the season.

6 hours ago, Anna said:

For the NFC:

• The Green Bay Packers' last appearance was in 2016, and they were eliminated in the championship round by the Atlanta Falcons.
  • This will be the 8th appearance by the Seattle Seachickens in the post-season.  They lost to the Dallas Cowboys in the Wild Card round in 2018.
  • The Minnesota Vikings' most impressive appearance in the 2010s was in 2017, when they went all the way to the Championship Round. They lost to the Philadelphia Eagles, who would move on to become the Super Bowl champs for that year.
  • This will be the first playoff appearance by the San Francisco 49ers since 2013, the Jim Hairball era for the team.  

My take on the above - For the NFC:

The Green Bay Packers have been inconsistent this year, but gained strength at the end of the season.

The Seattle Seahawks have also been inconsistent, loosing their mojo at the end of the season.

The Minnesota Vikings pulled off a shocker beating the NO Saints, with quarterback, Kirk Cousins showing signs of brilliance.  But, I don't think they have another big upset in the tank.

Go 49ers!!!  cheerleading-smiley-emoticon.gif

• Like 1

@Sandy - I ditched my NFL Football package so have not seen most games.  TBH, I wasn't even paying attention when I did have the package.  I lost interest in the NFL after parity, because there are som truly awful games out there.  Being a 49er fan for so long, I feel that I've seen so many of those terrible games.  So your observation is quite welcome.

I do hope the 49ers win, if only to erase that horrible loss v. the Vikings in the playoffs in 1987.  The San Francisco 49ers under Joe Montana completed a near-perfect season, and then turned into the San Diego Chicken v. the Vikings.  It was disheartening, although my reaction is purely secondary.  I thought to go to the mall that day as I was sure the 49ers would win.  I would stick around and watch the later rounds, because I was part of a pretty arrogant fan base that expected these wins.  

It will take a very long time for me to expect the 49ers to win everything, as I once did under Bill Walsh.  But I am happy that there is a team I can cheer for this upcoming Sunday.  

• Like 1

@Anna - I don't have an NFL football package, but had an opportunity to watch most teams on regular Cable TV on Sundays, Monday and Thursday nights - which were more games/teams than I was interested in watching.  Plus, I have year round access to every game the Astros, Rockets and Texans play.  Last weekend, ABC, CBS, NBC and FOX each carried one Wildcard Playoff game.  Here is the schedule for all of the playoff games this weekend.  

Note that the 49ers/Vikings game is up first on Saturday afternoon and will be broadcast on CBS, so you won't have to put up with Joe Buck. 😌

Saturday, Jan 11, 2020
  Location Time (ET) / TV Tickets
AFC Divisional Round
Tennessee Titans at Baltimore Ravens
M&T Bank Stadium
Baltimore, MD
8:15pm ET
CBS
Buy Tickets
NFC Divisional Round
Minnesota Vikings at San Francisco 49ers
Levi's Stadium
Santa Clara, CA
4:35pm ET
NBC
Buy Tickets
Sunday, Jan 12, 2020
  Location Time (ET) / TV Tickets
AFC Divisional Round
Houston Texans at Kansas City Chiefs
Arrowhead Stadium
Kansas City, MO
3:05pm ET
CBS
Buy Tickets
NFC Divisional Round
Seattle Seahawks at Green Bay Packers
Lambeau Field
Green Bay, WI
6:40pm ET
FOX
Buy Tickets

4 hours ago, Anna said:

@Sandy - I ditched my NFL Football package so have not seen most games.  TBH, I wasn't even paying attention when I did have the package.  I lost interest in the NFL after parity, because there are som truly awful games out there.  Being a 49er fan for so long, I feel that I've seen so many of those terrible games. 

@Anna - you told us at the beginning of the season that you were not interested in the NFL.  In addition to what you wrote above, there was the disgraceful treatment of Colin Kaepernick, which included the nasty, unwelcome interference and persecution of the Pence/Trump duo from hell..  

2 hours ago, Sandy said:

@Anna - you told us at the beginning of the season that you were not interested in the NFL.  In addition to what you wrote above, there was the disgraceful treatment of Colin Kaepernick, which included the nasty, unwelcome interference and persecution of the Pence/Trump duo from hell..  

There is a lot more that has turned me off about the NFL.  TBH, I would scarcely pay attention. However, the 49ers are in it and I do want to see them do well.  

Otherwise, I am very much #StillWithKap. 

18 hours ago, Anna said:

@Sandy - I ditched my NFL Football package so have not seen most games.  TBH, I wasn't even paying attention when I did have the package.  I lost interest in the NFL after parity, because there are som truly awful games out there.  Being a 49er fan for so long, I feel that I've seen so many of those terrible games.  So your observation is quite welcome.

I do hope the 49ers win, if only to erase that horrible loss v. the Vikings in the playoffs in 1987.  The San Francisco 49ers under Joe Montana completed a near-perfect season, and then turned into the San Diego Chicken v. the Vikings.  It was disheartening, although my reaction is purely secondary.  I thought to go to the mall that day as I was sure the 49ers would win.  I would stick around and watch the later rounds, because I was part of a pretty arrogant fan base that expected these wins.  

It will take a very long time for me to expect the 49ers to win everything, as I once did under Bill Walsh.  But I am happy that there is a team I can cheer for this upcoming Sunday.  

In my mind, the 1987 loss to the Vikings was erased on January 1, 1989.  The 10-6 Niners thrashed the Vikings in the Divisional Round, 34-9.  They went on to beat the Bears in the Championship Game in frigid cold weather, then beat the Bungles in a most amazing Super Bowl.  They've won 2 Super Bowls since then.  The Vikings? Still none.

While another huge upset like the Vikings pulled off on Sunday may be unlikely, they're still a formidable opponent that's not to be taken lightly.  I was really impressed with their defensive line.  Our O line and Jimmy G need to be on their A game.  It looks like we'll have Kwon Alexander back (yay!), and hopefully Dee Ford will be back too.  I had forgotten what this playoff feeling is like.  Excitement is in the air!

@Rebel77 - I think I remember that Bears game.  You could barely see anything  

Fun fact:  The last time the 49ers won a Super Bowl was on the very day I moved from San Francisco to Los Angeles.   The game ended right when we got to our new apartment building in Marina del Rey.  

If the 49ers win again, I hope that we will be on our way back to the San Francisco Bay Area.  I've been down here too long.

• Like 1

On 1/7/2020 at 6:00 AM, Anna said:

@Rebel77 - I think I remember that Bears game.  You could barely see anything  

Fun fact:  The last time the 49ers won a Super Bowl was on the very day I moved from San Francisco to Los Angeles.   The game ended right when we got to our new apartment building in Marina del Rey.  

If the 49ers win again, I hope that we will be on our way back to the San Francisco Bay Area.  I've been down here too long.

Yeah the snow & wind were horrific.  When Jerry Rice caught that first TD pass, when he eluded two defenders, I went nuts.  The Niners were supposed to struggle in that weather.  Hahahaha.....NOT!

I'm trying not to think about Saturday's game too much.  I haven't read any articles or watched any pressers.  None of it matters - let's just play the game.  I'm glad I have a class that morning so I don't sit around getting anxious until 1:35 p.m.  However, I will get anxious if the class runs late and I miss the BART train.  I thought about driving but, TBH, driving in downtown Oakland scares the crap out of me - even more so than downtown SF.  Same obstacles, just not as familiar with the territory.

February 2nd - the day @Anna moves back up here.  Woo hoo!  :)

• Like 1

@Rebel77 - Do you have tickets to the game?  Also, what is the BART train?  

Suggestion;  If the morning class is running late, just leave the room holding your stomach, or with a hand over your mouth like you are about to upchuck.  Or maybe, tell the instructor at the beginning of the class that you have a Dr's appointment and will need to leave at (fill in the blank).  No class is worth missing a game like that!

• Haha 3

21 hours ago, Sandy said:

@Rebel77 - Do you have tickets to the game?  Also, what is the BART train?  

Suggestion;  If the morning class is running late, just leave the room holding your stomach, or with a hand over your mouth like you are about to upchuck.  Or maybe, tell the instructor at the beginning of the class that you have a Dr's appointment and will need to leave at (fill in the blank).  No class is worth missing a game like that!

@Sandy - BART stands for Bay Area Rapid Transit.  It's our SF Bay Area mass transit system.  My class is in a building right across the street from one of the downtown Oakland stations.  I just have to go up the elevator and cross the street.

My husband is going to pick me up at one of our favorite delis (two blocks from where the class is) so I'll make it home well before the game.  As to the class itself, California law requires paralegals to have 4 hours of ethics and 4 hours of general continuing education every two year period to keep up our certification.  My latest two-year period started on 1/1/2020.  The ethics classes are REALLY hard to find, and Cal State East Bay (the paralegal program I graduated from) offers 4 hours of ethics once a year...for no cost.  It just happens to be tomorrow.  So, for me, it's worth a little bit of stress now than more stress later if I have a conflict when the class is offered next year and/or trying to find 4 hours somewhere else.

• Like 1

Southampton beat Leicester!!!!  Southampton beat Leicester!!!!  

excited fuck yeah GIF

• Haha 1

Saints are going great guns now @Anna, it was an excellent win... I don't supposed you are too concerned that Spurs lost to Liverpool then! It was a good match for a 0-1.. Hammers lost yesterday to Sheffield Utd...DOH!!! We had a goal disallowed by VAR which last season would have certainly been a goal.. They messed with the handball rules and it's a bummer if your team is on the end of that, we deserved at least a draw!!

shocked i can't believe it GIF by PG Tips

• Eeek! 1

21 minutes ago, Frank Beastie said:

Saints are going great guns now @Anna, it was an excellent win... I don't supposed you are too concerned that Spurs lost to Liverpool then! It was a good match for a 0-1.. Hammers lost yesterday to Sheffield Utd...DOH!!! We had a goal disallowed by VAR which last season would have certainly been a goal.. They messed with the handball rules and it's a bummer if your team is on the end of that, we deserved at least a draw!!

shocked i can't believe it GIF by PG Tips

I saw the VAR thing on Twitter yesterday.  There were some pretty outraged people.   

On the other hand, West Brom is 1st while Stoke City is swimming at the bottom of the pool.  Literally.  

That gif is HILARIOUS

• Like 1