Will be fiddling with the site. If you encounter problems, please DM or send email to admin@ziboom.com. Thanks! ×
Sign in to follow this  
Anna

Today - January 14, 2020

Good day! Man, it is cool, crisp and sunny today. I love this weather. We do not get the pollution of Los Angeles or San Fernando Valley here, as we are not part of the plateau, valley or desert areas. We are at the end of the Oxnard plains, at the foot of some mountains and close enough to the coast. This is a very nice way of describing my dreadful suburb.

Today is Seijin no Hi in Japan, which is a celebration for 19-year-olds who are officially coming of age. On this day, young women will wear their prettiest furisode (long sleeve) kimonos and head to the prefecture office for official ceremonies to mark their official entrance into the adult world. Families spring for official kimono-clad portraits of their daughter, and these are really quite beautiful. This might be the only time I have ever seen my cousin Reiko in full makeup. I understand that this ceremony is no longer as popular, which is a bit sad. I really like seeing anyone in a kimono, although more popular tourists areas do have stores that dress people up in traditional kimonos so people can visit castles while cosplaying in kimonos.

Today is also Dress Your Pet Up Day. I have tried this a couple of times, but my shenanigans came to an end when I dressed up my little boy poodle in a French maid’s outfit. Sam as not amused, and the fat little dog quickly broke the outfit’s seams. Los Angeles is too hot for dogs to play dress up, so I no longer do this.

Down here in Los Angeles at the Walt Disney Music Hall, the Los Angeles Philharmonic is performing Russian Romantics, a selection of romantic classical music that will no doubt include Sergei Rachmaninoff. I know some people here, including @Sandy , really enjoy his music. So enjoy!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Anna said:

Down here in Los Angeles at the Walt Disney Music Hall, the Los Angeles Philharmonic is performing Russian Romantics, a selection of romantic classical music that will no doubt include Sergei Rachmaninoff. I know some people here, including @Sandy , really enjoy his music. So enjoy!

@Anna - WOW!!  I simply cannot believe  you remembered that I love the music of Sergei Rachmaninoff!!  Plus, you pushed all my buttons when you posted that video of Natalia Mishkutenok and Artur Dmitriev at the 1994 Lillehammer Olympics, skating to his Piano Concerto No.2.  Their performance was so hot/passionate, they nearly melted the ice.   Back then - hard to believe it was 26 years ago - I bought the tape with that, and other great pairs performances, and nearly wore it out. 

Thanks so much for posting that.  It cheered me up on a dreary, rainy day, on which I am mourning the scandal and disciplinary action taken against my beloved Astros.  

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Dan said:

how sad.. i clicked on the video and it says not available in my country ..must be still upset for beating you in the world juniors no mind we have this instead https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TW1WKhvpMA

@Dan - LOL I LUV your video of NHL Players Figure Skating.  Regarding the video @Anna posted, I got the same message you mentioned: 

Video unavailable

This video contains content from International

Olympic Committee who has blocked it from

display on this website or application.

Watch on You Tube *

* Click on that line in the original post and you should be able to watch the video.  btw: The announcers are speaking a foreign language - Japanese?

Video unavailable
This video contains content from International Olympic Committee, who has blocked it from display on this website or application.
Watch on YouTube
  • Like 1

Thanks Sandy i will try that

• Like 1

@Dan - Holy cow!  Good to see the ol' Cougar (Chris Tierney) back when he was in teal.  Love the video.  

@Sandy - That is Japanese.  I really wanted these two to take the gold.  I think this routine, along with Wakaba Higuchi's Skyfall piece at the World's in 2018 or 2019, are my favorites.  Most skating these days is garbage since we are now in the era of pre-pubescent jump jump jump skating.

• Agree 1

I get the same message. 

The International 546E793B-7693-4C29-AB11-1A2165279DE8.thumb.jpeg.4d781624c8cc8cce13b6810aef473dd3.jpegOlympic Committee blocked it ?

Edited by Versailles
Just saw the quick fix to view it !

@Versailles, Did you click onto Watch on YouTube?  I did and was able to watch Natalia Mishkutenok and Artur Dmitriev skate at he 1994 Olympics, but don't know whether that worked for you or Dan.

• Like 1

Yes thanks got it now. Great performance and I loved the music.

Thought I heard a bit of that song “All By Myself” ..? googled and it was first recorded by Eric Carmen 1976 and of course later on Celine Dion.... in the middle of the classical piece, but I guess all modern music has to have inspiration from somewhere. 

Did you like the movie Shine ? The Rach 2 was the difficult piece that is supposed to have contributed to the pianist David Helfgott’s mental breakdown in London. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Versailles said:

Yes thanks got it now. Great performance and I loved the music.

Thought I heard a bit of that song “All By Myself” ..? googled and it was first recorded by Eric Carmen 1976 and of course later on Celine Dion.... in the middle of the classical piece, but I guess all modern music has to have inspiration from somewhere. 

Did you like the movie Shine ? The Rach 2 was the difficult piece that is supposed to have contributed to the pianist David Helfgott’s mental breakdown in London. 

Yes, I just re-watched that performance and think I also heard a bit of Eric Carmen's "All By Myself," which is a song I really like.  No, I didn't see the movie "Shine," but you've got me interested, so I'm going to look for it - at Amazon? 

@Versailles and @Sandy - Eric Carmen was fond of Rachmaninoff.  You do hear it in "All By Myself" and also in the song "Never Gonna Fall In Love Again" (Rhapsody On a Theme by Paganini).  In fact, "Never Gonna Fall In Love Again" is pretty much Rhapsody on a Theme... with words.  (There is some VERY AWESOME 70s hair in the below-listed video).

While finding his clip, I stumbled across Carmen's Twitter.  He is a HUGE MAGAt.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1