Will be fiddling with the site. If you encounter problems, please DM or send email to admin@ziboom.com. Thanks! ×
Anna

March, 2020 - Coronavirus

Since some of us have been discussing this virus over several threads, I thought to give the ol' Coronavirus its own little home.

Let's put news and information here, and discuss things.

For instance, Sri Lanka just had its first case of the coronavirus from a tourist from the Wuhan area.  

Sri Lanka confirms 1st case of new virus, a Chinese tourist

Today's stories (January 28, 2020):

From Reuters:  France confirms fourth case of coronavirus in elderly Chinese tourist (12:37 pm PST)

From Reuters:  Wuhan people keep out: Chinese villages shun outsiders as virus spreads

From The Daily Beast:  QAnon-ers’ Magic Cure for Coronavirus: Just Drink Bleach!

@Anna - Might you consider moving previous comments about the Coronavirus to this thread, so we would know what has already been posted and pick up the discussion from there?  Please disregard my request if it is too much trouble.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Sandy said:

@Anna - Might you consider moving previous comments about the Coronavirus to this thread, so we would know what has already been posted and pick up the discussion from there?  Please disregard my request if it is too much trouble.

They only allow you to move entire threads on these boards.  Since the conversation is within the Daily and Sad or Happy topics, I cannot move those posts over.  

However, the news on the virus changes so much everyday, so this is just a thread to keep everyone current.  

News is changing so rapidly. Australian Government issue one statement in the evening and a different one next morning ! 

People are infections beforehand, people are not infectious,

virus has been recreated for first time outside of China, but no vaccine available,

not as lethal as SARS, but going to be worse as more easily spread,

virus only lasts 2 hours outside if body.

Masks are ineffective - but Australian Government has a stockpile. 

What is relevant and what am I supposed to believe or understand ? 

400 Australians are stranded in Wuhan and our Government is finally going to fly them out ...but not home ! 

No ..they are all going to be sent and held on a remote island off the coast of Western Australia,  that we happen to own and where Australia usually keeps refugees ! 

• Like 2
  • Eeek! 1

5 minutes ago, Versailles said:

400 Australians are stranded in Wuhan and our Government is finally going to fly them out ...but not home ! 

No ..they are all going to be sent and held on a remote island off the coast of Western Australia,  that we happen to own and where Australia usually keeps refugees ! 

Wow!  That's outrageous - reminds me of the way lepers were once treated!!

• Like 1

Just what I thought ...plus there are people  (Australians and Malays) who actually live and work on Christmas Island.. how must they feel becoming a dumping ground for these people who may or may not be infective.

Also the medical  facilities on the island if many of these people do come down within 14 days with the virus, is basic - a Doctor I worked for used to do some locums up there,  they would be unable to cope with a plane load of people needing beds and hospital care. 

• Like 1

Is this far enough away from the mainland ? 

0E13B7BD-08F5-4747-90C2-21E27D1102E9.thumb.jpeg.43e5e5f6ef9c087419d512822607cf43.jpeg

• Like 1

In the USA:  The US has confirmed five cases: two in California, one in Arizona, one in Washington, and one in Illinois. All the patients had recently visited Wuhan. The CDC said the risk to the US public was still low.

A flight carrying about 200 American evacuees is headed to a US military base in Southern California after leaving the epicenter of the deadly coronavirus outbreak in China. 

The flight chartered by the US State Department left Wuhan and touched down late Tuesday night at Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport in Alaska. 

After refueling and passenger screenings, it left for the March Air Reserve Base near Riverside, California. There, local officials will work with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to facilitate a thorough screening of the passengers to "ensure these people can get back home and not put anyone at risk," said Dr. Cameron Kaiser of the Riverside County Department of Public Health.
  • Like 1

Several hundred British nationals are to be quarantined after flying back from Wuhan.  "It comes as British Airways suspends all direct flights to and from mainland China because of the coronavirus outbreak."

I don't think they're being flown off to an island though!  

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51292590

• Like 1

News about the virus for January 20, 2020 (west coast, USA)

(8:32 a.m.)  From AFP France:  German carrier Lufthansa is cancelling all flights to and from China.

(3:57 p.m.)  From Reuters:  Factbox: What do we know about the new coronavirus?

World Health Organization Calls Emergency Meeting On Coronavirus

The World Health Organization (WHO) will hold an emergency meeting on the coronavirus on Thursday as officials consider whether to declare a public health emergency. 

Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, the director-general of WHO, announced the meeting on Wednesday, saying he decided to reconvene the International Health Regulations Emergency Committee to discuss the coronavirus outbreak and advise him on declaring a health emergency. 

In a series of tweets, Tedros wrote that only 68 of more than 6,000 new cases of coronavirus have been confirmed outside of China, but there has been person-to-person transmission in three countries other than China, signaling a “potential for further global spread.” 

“This potential for further spread is why I called the EC,” Tedros wrote.

WHO decided against declaring a global public health emergency last week, noting that the coronavirus was indeed an emergency in China, but did not rise to the level of a public health emergency of international concern. That special designation is reserved for serious crises, and officials postponed the decision to gather more data.

At that time, there had been roughly 600 cases reported in China and just 17 deaths. But in the span of a week, Chinese officials report the coronavirus has infected more than 6,000 people with 132 deaths and thousands more suspected cases. The virus has spread to at least 16 countries globally and four states in the U.S., which has five confirmed cases. 

Tedros said the vast majority of cases have been reported in China, and most cases reported outside the country involve people who visited China or have been in contact with people who have been in the country. But Tedros said there are some signs of person-to-person transmission outside China. 

The director general said most infected patients experience milder symptoms, but about 1 in 5 people have severe illness, including pneumonia and respiratory failure.

https://thehill.com/changing-america/well-being/prevention-cures/480515-the-world-health-organization-to-hold-emergency

• Like 1

News for 1/30/2020

(10:13 a.m.) - From AP News:  United States US reports 1st case of person-to-person spread of new virus

(11:51 a.m.) - From Reuters:  World Health Organization declares coronavirus a public health emergency of international concern

(1:21 p.m.) - From Reuters:  Airlines suspend China flights over coronavirus

• Sad/Cry 1

And this  (Luthansa) is what can happen to a plane, the passengers and crew...no wonder that some companies have stopped flying into China. 

4B24FC55-6B57-4D06-9B25-921043E270B2.thumb.png.02713c1923e9ae54c8116186ab7c9ed3.png

• Eeek! 1

My nephew and his family are due to fly back to Oz Feb 5th, let’s see what happens in the meantime.

Was going to say “ pans”  but could not bring myself to. 

I see the US Government will be charging it’s citizens $1,000 for that mercy flight back from Wuhan, as will our Australian government...except that our Aussie citizens will get a 14 day holiday on a tropical island included. 

Kinda like a package deal I guess. 

Pity the accomodation is in an ex refugee camp and they will not be allowed out ! 

• Like 1

@Versailles - I just read that American Airline pilots are suing to stop flights to China, or at least the Wuhan area.

I hope your nephew and family are okay.  This seems like a peculiarly strange virus, as you can be a carrier without getting sick.  It's going to be difficult to stop it.

• Like 1

On 1/29/2020 at 3:53 PM, Morrigan said:

Several hundred British nationals are to be quarantined after flying back from Wuhan.  "It comes as British Airways suspends all direct flights to and from mainland China because of the coronavirus outbreak."

I don't think they're being flown off to an island though!  

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51292590

The British evacuees are being quarantined at Arrowe Park Hospital just 20 miles away from me.

There is a large building which was built for the use of N.H.S. staff, it's totally separate from the main hospital.

They'll be there for two weeks from what I can gather.

Versailles I hope your nephew and family are O.K.

• Like 2

Morning Anna, I just looked at footage of a lengthy press conference from the White House that was very informative and measured.. a first for the White House in recent years, so clearly President Trump was not in this press conference !!

Basically 7 different heads of various public health and homeland security organisations were outlining measures that will be effective from 5pm this  Sunday evening Feb 2nd in the USA. 

Details of the medical screening set up at 7 different airports for any flights from mainland China and HK. They will be at JFK, San Fran, LAX, Seattle, Atlanta, Chicago, Honolulu.  Yet to be announced is where the quarantine hospitals will be for any patients who are found to have the virus. 

Problem seems to be that testing is not reliable in that people who have been tested positive with the virus, then test negative and 3 days later positive again. As they kept reiterating ..so many unknowns with this new Novel Coronavirus. 

Also stats indicate that passengers can arrive asymptomatic, but then go on to infect in human to human transmission.

This was the case in Germany where a woman from China flew in, did not have any symptoms herself but infected a co worker, then flew out. That worker in Germany then infected two other co workers.

The rapid spread is alarming, but the message these officials wanted to get over was the risk to the American public is still low. 

• Like 1

Eleven Americans are among the dozens of people aboard a cruise ship moored in Japan who have tested positive for the novel coronavirus, officials said.

Since arriving at the Japanese port of Yokohama on Monday, the Diamond Princess has been quarantined at sea while all passengers and crew undergo health screenings. At least 61 people have tested positive for the newly identified coronavirus. The patients, who include elderly people and foreign nationals, were taken ashore to a hospital in the coastal prefecture of Kanagawa, according to Japan's Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare.

A spokesperson for Princess Cruises, which operates the ship, told ABC News that those infected include 28 Japanese nationals, 11 Americans, seven Australians, seven Canadians, three people from Hong Kong, one person from Argentina, one from the Philippines, one from Taiwan, one from the United Kingdom and one person from New Zealand.

abcnews.go.com/International/11-americans-aboard-cruise-ship-japan-infected-coronavirus/story?id=68819290

diamond-princess-cruise-ship-japan-passe

----------------------------

A couple aboard the quarantined Diamond Princess, were interviewed on GMA this morning. They were spending their first of 14 days, confined to a 200 ft cabin. They are not allowed to leave their cabin, but considered themselves luckier than some others because they have a balcony, can leave the confines of their room to get some fresh air, view the ocean and judging from the picture, maybe even communicate with fellow passengers

Wonder if they have TV or WiFi? The person at the bottom of the picture appears to be looking at a hand held device.

• Like 1

My nephew, his wife, 3 young sons flew back in from China on the weekend....now they have to self quarantine for 14 days in their own home.  

No going off to their jobs for both parents, no school for one child, no day care for the other two.

They have the tiniest back garden, I should imagine it will become very hard  to occupy and entertain them for so long in the house.  

They are ordering groceries online to be delivered.

At least they are home and safe and sound.  

Meanwhile two friends are posting lovely photos on holiday in Taiwan, but the next part of their holiday was to China on a birding tour  - which obviously has been cancelled. 

The tourism industry here in Oz is feeling the affects, orders of some goods are delayed as China is a big supplier to our stores, our Universities are gearing up for million dollar loses from the revenue they usually get from foreign students. 

Bottom line is I still can’t see any cheaper lobster in our shops !!

• Like 2

Hope it’s not too soon for some Corona virus humour ? 

419EF3DF-ABF0-4036-94F0-04CE1E5507B9.thumb.jpeg.f9bd2ecc5dfeb9496051e5ec9e1acb3e.jpeg

• Like 1

On 2/10/2020 at 9:04 AM, Versailles said:

My nephew, his wife, 3 young sons flew back in from China on the weekend....now they have to self quarantine for 14 days in their own home.  

No going off to their jobs for both parents, no school for one child, no day care for the other two.

They have the tiniest back garden, I should imagine it will become very hard  to occupy and entertain them for so long in the house.  

They are ordering groceries online to be delivered.

At least they are home and safe and sound.  

Yikes!!  That sounds too much like what is known as home detention or house arrest in the US, ordered by the courts for some defendants awaiting trial:

Home detention, also known as “house arrest,” is monitored by electronic devices that detect and report the defendant's absence or presence within the approved residence. If electronic monitors detect the defendant is not in the residence as required by the terms of their release, the violation will be reported.

However, at least your nephew and his family won't be quarantined on a ship, or in a large building with hundreds of other hapless people who were exposed to the Coronavirus.

• Like 2

Last weekend I had a choice of going to an  Italian fair or attending a Chinese New Year event in Chinatown. 

I chose the much smaller Italian fair. 

apparently the attendances at all the Chinese New Year events held here were down in numbers,  due to fears of the Coronavirus ( now named COVID-19). 

We have not had a single case of the virus in my large clean state full of sunshine and fresh air ....

but I am hesitant to go somewhere were there may be an increased chance that someone who has recently travelled through one of the countries that has cases of the virus is also attending. 

Not zenophobic - just germ phobic.

• Like 2

I haven't kept up with this because there is so much misinformation floating around.  Plus, you guys are doing a bang up job at it.  

@Versailles - I'm glad that your nephew and family are back!  And don't worry about being germophobic.   Chinatown isn't the place to be right now.   

I am a bit freaked out by the fact that this virus is spreading in Kanagawa-Ken, which includes Yokohama -- which has a gigantic Chinese community.  Yokohama Chinatown is pretty famous. I don't know how Japan is going to stop this.   A woman in Kanagawa-Ken just died there, and she had not visited Wuhan.  Japanese public places are ultra clean, and Japanese are long-time mask wearers.  If it can spread in Japan, where germophobia is the rule of law, I can't even imagine how this is all going to play out.

• Sad 1

Bad news from the above mentioned cruise ship "Diamond Princess," docked at the Japanese port of Yokohama:

Japan has announced its first death from the coronavirus outbreak, hours after confirming 44 more cases on a cruise ship quarantined near Tokyo, as fears of the spreading disease mount in the country.

Authorities also confirmed two more cases: a doctor in his 50s who works at a hospital in western Japan and a man in his 20s who lives in Chiba, near Tokyo. None had a record of travelling abroad in recent weeks or contacts with Chinese nationals – a possible sign that the virus is spreading inside the country.

Earlier in the day, Kato said there were 44 more cases on the Diamond Princess, which is still carrying nearly 3,500 passengers and crew members. The cruise ship now has 218 people infected with the virus aboard out of 713 tested since it entered the port of Yokohama on 3 February, the largest cluster of infections outside China.

• Wow! 1