Will be fiddling with the site. If you encounter problems, please DM or send email to admin@ziboom.com. Thanks! ×
Sign in to follow this  
Anna

March, 2020 - Opening Days, Footie, GDT & Schedules

littlefoot GIF

We have no sports on schedule 😭

• Sad/Cry 1

I noticed Red Sox vs. Braves on the spring training schedule.  When I was a kid, that would have been a huge rivalry as they were both Boston teams. I think the Braves left Boston (without looking  up the year) sometime in the early 50's.  Maybe they went to Milwaukee but my memory fades.

Funny how some teams  left their original cities and ended in others, sometime stopping briefly in a few spots before settling in somewhere.  

• Like 1

How do you like your team's chances this year?  Anyone?

I know my SF Giants are really going to suck.  But I bet the San Diego Padres still finish last.  It's a tradition, just like Christmas.

I have no idea what kind of shape the Dodgers are in this season, but it was a lot of fun watching them last season.. So hopefully they'll do okay..

Well, until Clayton Kershaw blows it again, hahaha...

frustrated los angeles dodgers GIF by MLB

• Haha 1

The Giants will suck, but at least we'll be young & suck instead of old.  We have some young players who will be worth watching, my favorite being Mauricio Dubon.  We'll see.  Maybe they'll surprise us!  Hahahahaha.....

The USWNT plays Spain in the She Believes Cup at 2:00 p.m. Pacific time today.  That's one I'll be watching, although I don't recognize Megan Rapinoe on the pitch because her hair is a normal color.  Maybe she'll dye it some funky color for the Olympics.

• Like 1

@Frank Beastie - I feel that the key to knowing the Dodgers is understanding that Kershaw will blow it.  Congratulations!

• Eeek! 1

Well, the NBA is toast this season.  It looks like the NHL will follow because there is significant overlap between both leagues, since many teams play in the same arena (Boston, New York).  

Everyone, please stay safe.

11 hours ago, Anna said:

Well, the NBA is toast this season.  It looks like the NHL will follow because there is significant overlap between both leagues, since many teams play in the same arena (Boston, New York).  

Everyone, please stay safe.

@Anna - I guess you are responding to this situation:

NEW YORK -- The NBA announced that a player on the Utah Jazz has preliminarily tested positive for COVID-19. The test result was reported shortly prior to the tip-off of tonight’s game between the Jazz and Oklahoma City Thunder at Chesapeake Energy Arena. At that time, tonight’s game was canceled. The affected player was not in the arena.

The NBA is suspending game play following the conclusion of tonight’s (last night) schedule of games until further notice. The NBA will use this hiatus to determine next steps for moving forward in regard to the coronavirus pandemic.

www.nba.com/article/2020/03/11/nba-suspend-season-following-wednesdays-games

• Agree 1

@Sandy - Yep!  California has also recommended against gatherings of over 250 people, which means that all 5 California baseball teams will be impacted if they play at home for Opening Day.  The yearly Battle of the Bay between the San Francisco Giants and Oakland A's has already been cancelled.  I expect the same for the annual pre-season game between the Dodgers and Angels, along with the stupid manufactured pre-season rivalry between the San Diego Poodres and the Seattle Mariners.

For the Los Angeles Dodgers, who host the San Francisco Giants in their opening day, there is talk that the game might take place at the Spring Training stadium.  I'm not sure how that is going to pan out, tbh.  There are so many Californians visiting Arizona for Spring Training right now.  Who knows how that state will be in a few weeks?

• Like 1

MLS (Major League Soccer - US Footie) has just suspended its season, which began last week (or the week before).  

• Agree 1

Footie here is starting to be affected by this too.. More and more games are being played behind closed doors in Europe.. Three Leicester City players are in self isolation after showing symptoms of Coronavirus.. There is a scheduled full programme of Premier League and Championship matches this weekend, plus all the other leagues are playing, but I guess many might have to be played behind closed doors and some even postponed.. I think it's all grinding to a halt..

I was looking forward to the Formula One motor racing season starting again this Sunday with the first race being held in Melbourne, Australia.. But Mclaren have already withdrawn from the race as one of their team members contracted the virus.. Mercedes driver and reigning World Champion Lewis Hamilton has said he is surprised the event is going ahead in the wake of other sporting events being called off.. He says it's shocking it's still going ahead with the great risk of infection to fans and everyone attending.. When he was asked why he thought F1 was continuing he said, "Cash is king."

I guess it remains to be seen whether it will still go ahead or be cancelled on Sunday.. As much as I'm loooking forward to seeing it... Peoples health and containment of this disease surely should come first..

• Agree 1
  • Sad/Cry 1

@Versailles - Bringing you here for the Australian F1 race that @Frank Beastie posted.

That's wild that 3 players on Leicester might have the virus.  Here in the US, the cancelling of NBA and most likely the NHL season is crazy.  Sports is usually the go-to for anyone staying at home.  What will we do now?  I just hope everyone stays sane and safe.  This is also a great time to take up online gaming.  I don't think that's been cancelled. 

Baseball season cancelled/suspended?  

think the MLB may be more concerned with baseball home teams with Indoor stadiums.  At least, that's the impression I got from this Wall Street Journal article:

MLB Wants Alternate Sites, Not Empty Stadiums, If Coronavirus Disrupts Season

Teams could play at other stadiums in cities less affected by the crisis, or they could stay at their spring training facilities in Arizona or Florida.

www.wsj.com/articles/mlb-wants-alternate-sites-not-empty-stadiums-if-coronavirus-disrupts-season-11583901404

• Like 1

@Sandy - Looks like they're going to suspend the season and start later.  So all major American sports, including most college (all of Pac-10), are now suspended.  I understand the ACC does not want people to shake hands. They'll get there.

I am inconsolable.  Watching/following sports plays such a big part in my life - and in my heart.  spacer.png

Guess I'll want to double up on audiobooks.

• Sad/Cry 1

Yep! Also Manchester City's defender Benjamin Mendy is self isolating after a family member was admitted to hospital with syptoms of coronavirus..

I'm just wondering how many if any weekend fixtures will survive, there's sure to be a decision on it though in the next few days..

And I can confirm the Australian F1 GP has now been cancelled.. amid fears for the whole season!!.. BooHoo!!.. and the next 3 races after that are in Bahrain, Vietnam and China.... There are 21 races all around the globe...

• Sad/Cry 1

How are we going to get through life without SPORTS?

• Sad/Cry 1

Charles Barkley:

As coronavirus continues to spread across the globe, more and more figures around the NBA are being affected. The league had its first two positive tests on Wednesday and Thursday in Utah Jazz teammates Rudy Gobert and Donovan Mitchell, and later Thursday evening, perhaps the league's most influential media figure revealed that he is now concerned that he might have contracted the virus. 

Charles Barkley called into Thursday's edition of Inside the NBA on TNT and revealed that he has been tested for coronavirus and is currently in a 48-hour self-quarantine. He explained that he did not feel well upon returning to Atlanta, where TNT tapes its NBA studio show, from New York, and is being cautious as he awaits results

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/coronavirus-charles-barkley-says-hes-in-self-quarantine-after-taking-covid-19-test/

• Sad/Cry 1

15 hours ago, Anna said:

How are we going to get through life without SPORTS?

March Madness would have started last night. Baseball season in just a couple of weeks. Never seen anything quite like this in my lifetime.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad/Cry 1

Unless I didn't hear it correctly, spring training games have been cancelled and the season itself is on hold, at least for a short time until things settle down.  If so, that's a real bummer.

• Like 1

Dear baseball friends,

It is with heavy heart that I inform you all that the baseball season will not begin on April 9th.  

Also, XBox Live went down last night.  I think every pro athlete living in the USA was trying to play a game with the rest of their teammates.  Server crash.  Waaah.

• Sad/Cry 1

Regarding our shared love of baseball, I just read this:

At this point, industry sources believe it is unlikely the season will begin before May, which is dependent, of course, on the containment of the virus.

However, when thousands, maybe hundreds of thousands of people, finally get tested, I can't bare to even think what we will be looking at.  On the other hand, if what I've read is true - that most viruses cease to thrive in hot weather - we could soon see some welcome relief from the evil COVID-19.  At least, it wouldn't survive April through October where I live.

In the meantime, I believe many TV channels are broadcasting sports re-runs.  😪

• Like 1

@Sandy - The SF Giants replayed Matt Cain's no hitter yesterday.  Even though I pay to access their channel, this was blocked for me.  I guess I should just be happy that I also can't see Dodger highlights. mahaha.

• Like 1