Will be fiddling with the site. If you encounter problems, please DM or send email to admin@ziboom.com. Thanks! ×
Frank Beastie

Five Favourites (Revisited)

Anna

Click the alphabet for glossary of group name and/or last name of artist:

# | A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z

Message added by Anna

Hello Zibbers, how about we get this started again and continue on from where our @Baldrick's original thread left off.. doffs me cap!!

I can't see the harm in repeating artists who have already featured but maybe try to post alternative tracks to those posted before.. having said that, it's a job working out what's been posted and what's not, so whose counting? ..hahaha

As @Anna suggested in the "TODAY" thread, let's start with Queen, so five of your favourites from Queen, if you please..

I'll start it off with this one.. I've always loved this video as well as the song..

#1 Queen - It's A Hard Life

• Like 2

We Are The Champions 

• Like 2

"News of the World" is my favorite album by Queen.    I really love this song, which was perfect for a rebellious teenager.

I really love Roger Taylor (drummer) in this video.  He looks like he's air whisking instead of drumming.

This is "Spread Your Wings"

• Like 2

BTW...if you go to the top of the Five Favorites page, you can find the glossary of all bands/musicians + songs that have already been posted.  The list is incomplete because some people posted videos which have since disappeared, with no notation of the song name.  This should make things easier for everyone.  I believe the message will stay at the top, which will make things convenient for you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just because I know Anna hate it, and because one of my roommates in college played this album all the time:

• Haha 2

I think we need to try to keep this moving so I'll finish this Queen 5 with one of their more eccentric numbers, although there are a fair few of those scattered through the albums, they are always a delight..

This is from 1976's "A Day At The Races"

#5 The Millionaire Waltz

Would somebody like to start the next five, either five from a band/artist revisited or one we haven't yet featured..

• Like 3

Going forward, could we possibly modify the rules of this very popular Five Favorites thread?  That is, having already introduced a huge list of great mucicians, it would be a slow process to add more, plus 5 of our favorites from the chosen artist.

So, here is what I would like to suggest.  We can add a new musician/ group, OR using the wonderful alphabetical list that @Anna compiled so beautifully, we can post another song from any of those artists/groups.  Since some of the songs have been lost in the process and/or many of us have more favorite songs we would like to add, that should open things up quite a bit.  Here's an example of what I am proposing.

From 5 Favorite, Tom Petty - "Don't Come Around Here No More"

• Like 1

@Sandy - Yeah...sounds good. I think that was part of the re-boot for this thread.  We can recycle old artists and add songs.  

I will also catalog other songs on other music threads to spare everyone the trouble of going through every single post.

Now onto Tom Petty.  I always loved this song because it sounds happy, which was a bit different for Tom Petty back when it came out.  His was always more of an ultra-stoned sound.  "Don't Do Me Like That"

• Like 1

On 3/11/2020 at 7:02 PM, Anna said:

The list is incomplete because some people posted videos which have since disappeared, with no notation of the song name.  This should make things easier for everyone. 

TILT!! Not only did you fail to mention the title of the Tom Petty song you posted above, the video image doesn't show it either!  btw: I love that song, but alas, it does not appear on the list of Tom Petty songs.

• Haha 1

@Sandy - Fixed.  Both of our songs are already catalogued on the list.  You might have to refresh to see it.

From 5 Favorite's, Eric Clapton - "Tears In Heaven"  The song is a memorial to his son, Conor, who at four years old, fell 50 stories to his death from a New York City apartment building.

• Sad/Cry 1

@Sandy @Frank Beastie - Do you think that while we recycle artists, we should still stick to the "until 5" format?  That way, it would still be a challenge.

32 minutes ago, Anna said:

@Sandy @Frank Beastie - Do you think that while we recycle artists, we should still stick to the "until 5" format?  That way, it would still be a challenge.

@Anna - What I proposed earlier today was that we be allowed to choose one artist from the "Five Favorites Revisited" list and add one song to those already listed.  As you may recall, it often took many days to list 5 songs, even when the artist was first introduced.  To add 5 more songs, and with even less people posting, could drag out f o r e v e r.  

On the other hand, if anyone added a new artist to the Five Favorites list, that artist would be welcomed with 5 of his songs.

Mine was just a suggestion to keep things moving. However, I'll go along with whatever you, Frank and others prefer.  

@Sandy - I would like to stay with one artist.  My reason is simple - the last time we did this, I ran out of time in discover artists.  Unlike most of you, I don't really know music by Fleetwood Mac.  I think if we stick to an artist, I can at least listen to some music and discover it.  I think that was Baldrick's original intent in this thread.  It may take a bit longer.  But I am actually trying to bring friends over to this site, now that everyone has to stay home.  NOTHING LIKE APPLYING PRESSURE, AMIRITE? 

Sure, @Anna - that's okay with me.  So, to clarify where we stand right now, we have 2 Tom Petty songs and need 3 more - by different posters, or can one of us post a second selection?  Suggestion:  Second selections are permiited if it has been 24 hours or more since the last selection.   

Also, I can delete the Eric Clapton song, but the box it was posted in would remain there, but blank.  Can you remove it altogether?

There are loads more new artists/bands I could post, problem is I might be the only one here whose heard of them or likes them (so risk grinding the whole thread to a halt), I also think there's no problem adding additional tracks to already featured artists as most bands, unless you include the one hit wonders, produce many albums and it's all there on YouTube.. I also think it easy enough to post a track by an artist/band that you've never heard before, one of the great things about the original thread is we all discovered new music we hadn't heard before..

Even if you don't like the genre of music or the artist it's fairly easy to find something to post and keep it moving along.. "Favourite" can (at this stage) be quite a loose term, especially as we cover more music, just something you find and quite like will do.. I think we should definitely stick to 5 tracks from 1 artist before moving onto the next artist..

I'm also trying to work out how to make my video posts smaller, I like the size a lot more on your video's, Anna.. I post videos by highlighting the URL then copying it and pasting it to the thread.. It worked well on the last site, but on here the videos are massive.. Is there an alternative way to posting video please, @Anna? I've tried the insert other media button and copy the URL to it but it does nothing when I click to insert..

• Like 1

@Sandy - Let's leave Clapton up there and just combine Petty and Clapton, the latter being an artist I blocked out after he went on a racist bender.  It would be nice to discover more from these artists.  And pressure worked to bring @threelilpugs here.  haha

@Frank Beastie - I can also find artists since I might did listen to different music in my formative years.  I look forward to discovering something from everyone's taste this time around..  I think my OCD and this particular format likes to keep things a bit clean.  

As to the videos, I only post that because I am using admin html privileges.  That isn't available to anyone because it is a nice way to destroy the site.  Trust me.  Even I did that a crap ton on the other site we had, and I have done it many times here.  I just erased my failures before anyone noticed.  I will find out how to do it another way, though.  It is worth harassing the board programmers.  I pay them a nice fee for this site, and it includes service.  I think they could stand a few questions, right?

Note: there was no pressure to bring me here hehe! This is my way of 'getting out more often.' haha. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I'm kind of surprised this track didn't feature in an earlier FF.. Great rocking number and I really like the animated video, which looks to me to have been influenced by Winsor McCay's early 1900's comic strip "Little Nemo"

#4  Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - Runnin' Down A Dream

• Like 2

@Frank Beastie  @Sandy - I resized the videos so it is smaller.  Is that okay or do you want it bigger?  Smaller?  Decisions, decisions!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Anna said:

@Frank Beastie  @Sandy - I resized the videos so it is smaller.  Is that okay or do you want it bigger?  Smaller?  Decisions, decisions!

Thank you, @Anna.. That's a perfect size, it looks so much better now.. You're a star!! 🌟

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I'm a little confused, but I don't think we have a Tom Petty #5 so that's what I'm posting.

Most of you are aware that I saw Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers at the Greek Theatre in Berkeley 6 weeks before Tom died.  It was the last of the concerts he did before he had to take a short break because of illness, then he went on to finish the tour.  It was an AMAZING evening at my favorite venue.  Little did I know that he would be gone a short time later.  I would still be kicking myself if I hadn't gone.

This is not my favorite Tom Petty song, but it was my favorite of that night.  There was something about the guitar sounds wafting into the eucalyptus trees that made this song even more haunting.  This concert is a memory that I will cherish forever.

• Like 3

I not surprised you are a little confused @Rebel77.. The thread is looking a little disjointed as we were trying to sort out a few kinks, but I think once we get rolling it should sort itself out.. We should number all tracks 1 through to 5 as well as name them as it helps keep tabs on where we are and also helps @Anna with the indexing and helps if the videos disappear, which can and have in the past.. As I said in an earlier post the term "favourite" can be quite a loose term... As at this stage with such back catalogue of everyones favourites tracks for the many artists featured, we are now picking alternate tracks that haven't been posted before.. So they can be songs you quite like, not necessarily your favourites.. It would help the thread to flow if we also posted on peoples choices even if we don't know the artist or are not keen on their music, just to keep it moving along, and then we can move onto the next choice.. It's a great way to discover new bands/artists as as well as posting previous artists featured we are also posting artists not as yet featured in the thread.. Rock on!!

• Like 2

Also for @Rebel77, @Frank Beastie and @Sandy - In going through the old threads, I forgot just much I enjoyed reading the personal stories attached to these favorite songs.  These are favorites for a reason, and perhaps we can all do this again.  I think everyone has added a personal touch so far, so keep it up! 

• Like 2

I was chatting with my ex just the other day and she has a very good friend in London who sells antiques.. and this is basically the conversation as relayed to me by my ex.. She said this really nice lady came to her stall yesterday and bought two expensive bottles of perfume from her..My ex's friend said to her "I recognise your accent".. the lady said "I come from Manchester".. MEF then said "You have such a nice voice" The lady said, "Well I used to sing!" MEF said What kind of singing voice do you have.. and she said "Oh sort of like bluesy soul kind of stuff" and they got talking and the lady was there for quite a while chatting with MEF then when she left she gave her card (business card) and it was Lisa Stansfield..

I don't know how many of you are familiar with Lisa Stansfield but she has an amazing voice and produced a lot of albums and singles mostly in the 80's/90's.. The last album she produced was in 2018, so I guess she was being modest when she said she used to be a singer.. or MEF got a scoop and she is retiring.. She's also an actor, so maybe things are going more that way now! I dunno!! Anyway, 5 from Lisa Stansfield please..

Me and my ex were also discussing which of her songs were our favourites, my ex likes All Around the World (originally a LS song) but she also later did a version with Barry White, that's her favourite.. Mine is this one, it's a beautiful track and her vocals are gorgeous.. This version also has a snippet of Lisa talking about the song before the whole song plays.. that, folks, is a Manchester accent!

#1 Lisa Stansfield - All Woman

• Like 2