Will be fiddling with the site. If you encounter problems, please DM or send email to admin@ziboom.com. Thanks! ×
Sign in to follow this  
Sandy

GOP’s War on Government Paved the Way for Trump’s Deadly Incompetence

Donald Trump’s utterly incompetent response to the coronavirus has become readily apparent in recent days. But this disaster is not a solo enterprise. His catastrophic performance as president during the early stages of the crisis is the culmination of decades of right-wing action aimed at subverting the one entity that can protect Americans from the deadly threat at hand: government. 

For many years, Republicans and conservatives have demonized government. In his first inaugural address, Ronald Reagan, the superstar of the right, proclaimed, “Government is not the solution to our problem. Government is the problem.” The well-known conservative strategist and lobbyist Grover Norquist once said, “My goal is to cut government in half in twenty-five years, to get it down to the size where we can drown it in the bathtub.” The tea party arose in opposition to federal assistance for those Americans slammed by the housing collapse of 2007 and became a movement encompassing anti-government fervor and intense paranoia. And Trump rode this wave into the White House.

On the campaign trail, Trump embraced the right-wing caricature of the federal government as a collection of ineffectual fools who did little more than collect taxes, impose regulations, and hinder American greatness. Trade, health care, the economy—all of this, Trump said, were challenges he could easily take on while delivering spectacular results. Know-how and experience were not needed. Not with a brain like his. Governing was simple. 

Trump could only be acceptable to voters who had long been told that government was the problem. He was the antithesis of government experience and expertise. And he made that a selling point and convinced 63 million people to vote for him, as if they were picking a winner on a reality television show. After all, he was amusing and a kick in the ass of the libs who thought credentials and seriousness actually mattered.

Now the joke isn’t too funny. And tens of thousands, perhaps hundreds of thousands of Americans will die because the GOP’s war on government paved the way for Trump’s incompetence.

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2020/03/gop-small-government-trump-coronavirus-incompetence/

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

@Sandy - I don't read biased publications, BUT I LOVE MOTHER JONES.  They have really good journalists and offer some amazing investigative stories.

I really think that this virus is going to be the complete undoing of the administration.  When I saw the long lines at Costco and the absolute hoarding of supplies, that was it.  This is something that has not been part of the American landscape in my lifetime, outside of the long lines for faux toilet paper and gas shortages and Star Wars.  

Someone mentioned that Mexico might close its borders to the US.  Can you imagine the joke?  Mexico built a wall and make the US pay for it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Anna said:

Someone mentioned that Mexico might close its borders to the US.  Can you imagine the joke?  Mexico built a wall and make the US pay for it.

LOL Gotta love the irony of that!!  If Americans do make it across the border into their country, wonder if they will hold them in detention facilities and separate the children from their parents.

• Haha 1