Will be fiddling with the site. If you encounter problems, please DM or send email to admin@ziboom.com. Thanks! ×
Anna

Categories

Anna

GLOSSARY

Category

Songs

Message added by Anna

@Ogre suggested another type of music thread game based upon Five Favourites.  Instead of putting up five songs from a favourite artist, he suggested a general genre and theme, ie., sad country or happy pop, with each of us putting up our favorite song in this category.  Here are the rules:

1)  Each category is limited to five songs.  A new category (theme & genre) must start after the fifth song; and

2)  Anyone can suggest a new category.  You are also free to offer a theme without specifying a genre, which keeps the game a bit more flexible.

Every type of music genre can be included in this game, including musicals, jazz, classical music and opera.  Just bear in mind that not everyone might not be too familiar with a very obscure genre.  

You are also free to put up music from other countries.  Just add an explanation to the song so we can understand.

So let's start with this first category:  MAKE ME HAPPY (Happy, Pop)

This song is always so much fun, and I was so happy when it appeared in "Guardians of the Galaxy".  

• Like 3

Happy Song #3 - Irene Cara - Flashdance (What A Feeling)

• Like 2

I love this!!!!!  We could a big dose of happy right now!

Happy Song #4 - The Rolling Stones - "Happy"

• Like 2

Daler Mehndi - Tunak Tunak Tun. You can't not have fun watching this one...

• Like 1

A song from a movie soundtrack.

Porco Rosso: Le Temps des Cerises

• Like 2

#2 - No contest at all.  My favorite song in a movie.  "Mothra" from Mothra

BTW...this song is in Indonesian, which sadly explains the brown Japanese pretending to be natives.  

Also, excellent choice in music by @Sandy, @eqman and @Rebel77.  It all made me happy.  Of course, I loooove @Ogre's Tunak Tun.

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

I love this duet from the quirky movie, "Little Shop Of Horrors," featuring a nerdy guy confessing his feelings toward a Marilyn Monroe(ish) co-worker.   About halfway through the video, their amazing voices blew me away.

Movie Soundtrack #3 -  "Suddenly Seymour" from "Little Shop Of Horrors"

• Like 1

The song that brought many to tears at the 2015 Oscars (they showed a close up of Chris Pine crying that made me cry!).  The mix of John Legend's vocals, Common's rapping, and gospel choir brings home the point of the film and the bravery of those who risked their lives for equality.  I often have to ask myself if I would have been brave enough to fight the fight back in the 50's and 60's.

Movie soundtrack #4 - "Glory" from the movie "Selma":

• Like 2

Okay, there seems to be a little confusion about how the thread works.  The "Happy" theme ended with Ogre's song #5.  We started a new theme with music from movie soundtracks with Ogre's pick: Porco Rosso: Le Temps des Cerises.  We post songs from that theme until we reach #5.

I realize we're not supposed post two songs in a row per theme, but I'm getting us back on track with movie soundtrack songs #4.  I'm going to take this opportunity to post the funkiest theme song of all.

Song from a movie soundtrack #4 - "Shaft"

• Like 1

@Sandy - That woman always reminds me of Gomer Pyle.  You know...the thick regional accent and then the CRAZY EXCELLENT VOICE.  

@Rebel77 - Two excellent songs.  "Shaft", though.  That was BIG BIG BIG for its time.  

• Like 2

ok ok, I've found one! #5 for soundtracks is from one of my fave Dudley Moore movies, "Arthur."

• Like 2

Next theme: one-hit wonders.  Because...who doesn't love a good one-hit wonder?

Here's my favorite - one-hit wonder #1: A-Ha's "Take On Me."  (Plus, the video is soooooo cool!)

• Like 1

Psy is pretty popular in South Korea.  Here, this is a one-hit wonder.  "Gangam Style".

• Like 2

One-Hit Wonder #3: Passenger - "Let Her Go"

• Like 2

This was a 'hit' in the UK. Not sure about anywhere else. It was his only one that I'm aware of.

It's a bit haunting and a bit glum, but I like it.

Gary Jules, Mad World:

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

Who even knew there were more lyrics that the title lyric?

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, eqman said:

This was a 'hit' in the UK. Not sure about anywhere else. It was his only one that I'm aware of

I've heard this version of the song before, but the Tears for Fears version was the bigger hit here in the US.  Great pick!

• Like 1