Will be fiddling with the site. If you encounter problems, please DM or send email to admin@ziboom.com. Thanks! ×
Anna

May, 2019 - Coronavirus

We enter another month of COVID-19, and Californians were able to see gray in our governor's hair!  Wheeee!

A Twitter friend from England just put this on his feed.  Since it is a small thread, let's open with this:

This fella I know died of Covid-19 the other night. I used to talk to him all the time. He was so jovial, & loved wild birds. Prior to the EU referendum he started sharing nationalist material on fb & it took me aback tbh. He didn’t seem the sort. A while ago, I saw he replied...

..to a stranger’s comment under a BBC article. She’d simply said how much anti-immigrantism brought her down. Her fb was ’private,’ so the little he’d seen about her was that she’s not white, has a foreign name, & is an NHS nurse, when he said: “Well it’s people like you who...

...have ruined this country.” I was stunned. For once, I didn’t engage him. I offered her a little encouragement & I unfollowed him. In his last days, who knows whether hate-filled idealists were there fighting to save his life, but I bet there were foreign-born nurses who were.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

Senator Sherrod Brown calls Trump's coronavirus response 'incompetent' and 'immoral' ***

“Incompetent” and “immoral” are just two of the scathing adjectives unleashed by Democratic Ohio Senator Sherrod Brown as he attacked President Donald Trump and what he called the White House’s “mishandling” of the coronavirus crisis in a new interview with Yahoo Finance.“ 

What President Trump has not done and has done badly will cost American lives,” Brown told Yahoo Finance’s On The Move on Tuesday, contending that Trump miscalculated the seriousness of the lethal virus and is responsible for ten of thousands of deaths. 

Trump has notably encouraged protests over coronavirus lockdowns, and early on downplayed the gravity of the disease — tweeting in March that the U.S. had “only 129 cases” because of “quick action on closing our borders.”Of course, the number of cases skyrocketed.  

The U.S. makes up just over 4% of the world’s population but now has over 1 million of the world’s 3.1 million confirmed coronavirus cases, Brown pointed out. “That's because our president has been immoral and incompetent and focused on himself and not on the people in this country,” Brown said. 

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/senator-sherrod-brown-calls-trumps-coronavirus-response-incompetent-and-immoral-140900261.html?.tsrc=daily_mail&uh_test=1_02

*** I am in TOTAL agreement with Senator Sherrod Brown!!  Yes, Trump deserves "4 more years," either behind bars, or in a psychiatric hospital.

• Like 2

GOOD MORNING!

I read that the state of Maryland, which received many masks from South Korea, have been hiding them so that the Feds cannot seize that. Isn’t that sad? Those masks, BTW, came because the governor's Korean American wife called South Korea and asked for masks.

In other news:

And dining in The Netherlands!

EW6eiK5WkAEQ_0j?format=jpg&name=large

• Like 2

BTW...the top of the page has sticky links to  COVID-19 symptoms, along with daily/hourly meter for every country affected by this virus. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Great graphs in the sticky at the top of the page..makes it so easy to follow. Thanks @Anna.

• Like 2

The Governor of Illinois, the site of this protest, is Jewish.  "ARBEIT MACHT FREI" is written on the gateway to Auschwitz.  

•  Angry 2

@Anna - I've been using the Worldometer chart you have at the top of the page.  I also use their chart that lists the same info for all 52 states in the USA.  I am inconsolable about the re-opening of Texas.  The number of new cases continues to soar to new heights, climbing steadily up the chart toward #1.  Heck, my neighborhood has more new cases daily than the entire country of Australia. 😢 

What a brilliant time for the Trump/TX Governor duo to open the door and welcome the grim reaper.  May the bird of paradise fly up their noses!!

• Eeek! 2
  • Sad/Cry 1

@Sandy I have been watching the stats for the protesting states.  Georgia, which opened two weeks ago, has some pretty wretched numbers for a state that is largely rural.  I mean, even if you combined Hotlanta, Augusta and Savannah, you still don't have anything close to a San Francisco -- a city of approximately 800,000+ people.  Florida's numbers are going up again.  

Also, Huntington Beach...those beach bum idiots.  I'd like to take this time to point out that Orange County's numbers are hitting new 'Rona highs everyday.  Our county is also having assemblies of clowns.  

Let's just stop calling these events "protests", because who in their right mind protests rules that have been set up to insure public health and safety?  Instead, let's just call these gatherings what they really are:  Trump rallies.  White nationalists rallies.  Gun rallies. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

35 minutes ago, Anna said:

Let's just stop calling these events "protests", because who in their right mind protests rules that have been set up to insure public health and safety?  Instead, let's just call these gatherings what they really are:  Trump rallies.  White nationalists rallies.  Gun rallies. 

@Anna - you nailed it!!  Plus, those Trump inspired protestors pose a clear and present danger to themselves and others.  

When all of this is over, IF it ever ends, Trump should stand trial for crimes against humanity - the humanity being citizens of the country he has sworn to serve and protect.  Or, is his conduct better described as genocide?

• Like 1

Calif. City Official Sacked for Saying COVID Will ‘Fix’ Society by Killing Elderly, Homeless, Sick 

Pilar Melendez 
Published May. 02, 2020 10:56AM ET  

A California city official has been removed from his post after suggesting that society should adopt the mentality of letting the deadly coronavirus “run its course” and kill elderly, sick, and homeless residents to “fix what is a significant burden on our society.” Ken Turnage, a member of the Antioch city planning commission, said the controversial comments in a now-deleted Facebook post advocating for the lockdown restrictions to be lifted.

“We would have significant loss of life, we would lose many elderly, that would reduce burdens in our defunct Social Security System, health care cost (once the wave subsided), make jobs available for others and it would also free up housing in which we are in dire need of,” Turnage wrote. On Friday night, the five-member City Council of Antioch, a city of about 110,000 people 35 miles east of Oakland, voted to remove him.

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-05-01/northern-california-city-official-after-saying

• Like 1
  •  Angry 2

A few states in Australia are going really well and restrictions have eased. On my beach walk outing yesterday, I did see a few younger people (eg 20 years)congregating and standing way too close chatting. 

I hope we don’t have a Florida or Huntington  beaches style melee and then a spike in cases.  What idiot would undo all the good work so far by ignoring the rules ?

West Australia has had a third consecutive day with no new cases !  I am waiting to see if after all the rescue flights land with returning Aussies this week, and the fact that people are now able to go out more -  if we have a second wave of infections. 

Excited that next weekend will be visiting my daughter Sunday 10th May for our first get together in 10 weeks as it is the  Australian Mothers Day celebration. 

UPDATED: just after I posted this Wa had another another death - an 85 year old woman with other pre existing medical conditions. She caught it from a close family member and was admitted to hospital in mid March. 

C2BE2084-552A-45F2-9BD3-73285D8D21C7.thumb.jpeg.192fd5f8d0f909355abe3a80ce90eef2.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Wow! 1

Aside from all of the terrible Coronavirus news, a few articles are appearing in the media about how celebrities have become a bit irrelevant in our current situation.

And it's true. They've become rather pointless. 

We should expect a big fightback to recover celebrity relevance. They're under threat and are used to a lot of publicity, adoration and, most importantly, money. 

It'll be interesting to watch how they go about it. 

• Like 2

The Kardashians are still going strong here, @eqman

Celebrities pay a great deal of money to maintain their press.  Without the PR working overtime, celebrities are stuck making awkward videos that only show their entitlement.  It's not been a good luck here.  This is when influencers and established social media stars will thrive, because they have a leg up on self-promotion.  It's not really a good thing, but yesterday's big news was the big reveal on Lebron James' mistress on another forum.  

• Like 2

Who are the Kardashians?

Do they contribute something?  🙂

• Haha 2

@eqman - You are quite lucky here.  I might want to keep it that way, just for your sanity.

The Kardashian family has been terrorizing television for many years now.  It's a family of sisters, with Kim Kardashian of sex tape notoriety being the the most famous of them all.  She is married to Kanye West, and her every movement is strategically captured on social media.  To her credit, though, she has helped to release some wrongly accused African American prisoners.  I know she gets a lot of hate for this, because people suspect her motives.  I don't really care what her motives are if she is doing something that is benefiting individuals who have spent their lives in prison for a crime that they did not commit, ya know? 

Otherwise, the Kardashian clan are known for their surgically altered bodies, and this has given them the appearance of the Betty Boop body with an extra extra large butt.  

Their presence offends many people.   I simply don't pay attention to them.  I don't even hate them.  They have been quite successful at making money, and having a large butt hasn't really hurt anyone.  However, during this time when there isn't celebrity news, they have become front center in everything.  

Kim Kardashian Snaps Back at Tyson Beckford After He Calls Her ...

Kim Kardashian

• Like 1

Kim should be seen less often these days..I thought she would be too busy putting in assignments for that law degree ?

• Haha 2

On 5/2/2020 at 3:12 PM, Sandy said:

Calif. City Official Sacked for Saying COVID Will ‘Fix’ Society by Killing Elderly, Homeless, Sick 

Pilar Melendez 
Published May. 02, 2020 10:56AM ET  

A California city official has been removed from his post after suggesting that society should adopt the mentality of letting the deadly coronavirus “run its course” and kill elderly, sick, and homeless residents to “fix what is a significant burden on our society.” Ken Turnage, a member of the Antioch city planning commission, said the controversial comments in a now-deleted Facebook post advocating for the lockdown restrictions to be lifted.

“We would have significant loss of life, we would lose many elderly, that would reduce burdens in our defunct Social Security System, health care cost (once the wave subsided), make jobs available for others and it would also free up housing in which we are in dire need of,” Turnage wrote. On Friday night, the five-member City Council of Antioch, a city of about 110,000 people 35 miles east of Oakland, voted to remove him.

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-05-01/northern-california-city-official-after-saying

Antioch is about 20 minutes from my home.  It's considered the place where you don't want to go at any cost around here.  That distinction used to belong Bay Point/Pittsburg, which are the cities right over "the hill" from me.  But, now it's Antioch. It grew way too fast, and the newer houses were subject to an additional Mello Roos special tax assessment when they were built in the 80's.  The people who live there are probably still paying that tax.  In the meantime, Antioch has become totally rundown, and the older parts are akin to a ghetto.  We used to take the kids to the reservoir out there when they were little, but I wouldn't take a kid out there now.  The people who could afford it got out of there fast in the 90's - either further east to Brentwood, or west in my direction.  There's literally no reason to go to Antioch.

What's happened to Antioch is really sad.  So, it saddens me even more that it had an idiot like Ken Turnage on its City Council.  It's appalling that a white man on the council of a city with a significant African American population, which has been hit disproportionately with COVID-19, would make a comment like that.  The implications are chilling.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

California is in Stage 2 of things now, and so our governor is re-opening some things.  It doesn't make sense, but I'm too tired to fight this.  I'm just gonna stay indoors because Stage 2 is going to be dumbomatically awful.    

Some of these make sense because most people shop for these items online anyway.  I don't even know of a nearby florist that isn't the supermarket, with their unscented wilted flowers.   Online bookstores have all the business now, and sporting goods stores -- the option to shop online for most things seems a bit better.    

I think this country is going to open by June 1.  This is gonna be like Amity Island wanted to open to the public while big ol' shark is waiting on dinner and some snacks.

Amity Island Billboard Sign

• Like 1

As states push ahead with reopening, CDC warns coronavirus cases and deaths are set to soar

As nearly half of U.S. states begin to ease restrictions that were put in place to slow the spread of the coronavirus, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is quietly projecting a stark rise in the number of new cases of the virus and deaths from it over the next month.

Modeling from the CDC, incorporated into a chart prepared by the Federal Emergency Management Agency and circulated within the administration, was obtained by the New York Times. It projects 200,000 new daily cases of the coronavirus by the end of May and 3,000 daily deaths in the U.S. At present, approximately 25,000 new cases are reported each day, with roughly 1,750 deaths.

Without disputing the accuracy of the modeling used by the CDC, the White House quickly distanced itself from the projections.

“This data is not reflective of any of the modeling done by the task force or data that the task force has analyzed,” White House deputy press secretary Judd Deere said in a Monday statement. “The president’s phased guidelines to open up America again are a scientific-driven approach that the top health and infectious disease experts in the federal government agreed with.”

Despite the growing risk of exposure and death from COVID-19, many states are proceeding with a relaxation of restrictions that were meant to slow the spread of the virus, which have brought the nation’s economy to a virtual halt. Those moves in states like Georgia and Texas do not follow the phased federal guidelines issued by President Trump’s coronavirus task force on April 16.

The guidelines were announced at a White House press briefing, where Trump proclaimed that “now that we have passed the peak in new cases, we’re starting our life again, we’re starting rejuvenation of our economy again, in a safe and structured and very responsible fashion.” There were 32,076 new cases in the U.S. on that day, a number that has been exceeded on at least four days since.

While the implementation was left to the discretion of state governors, the guidelines were clear that no state should attempt to ease restrictions until it had observed a “downward trajectory” of new cases of the virus over a 14-day period. Yet, as of this weekend, no state in the nation could make that claim.

https://news.yahoo.com/as-states-push-ahead-with-reopening-cdc-warns-coronavirus-cases-and-deaths-are-set-to-soar-182250157.html

• Like 1

I just read that the majority of Americans do not want the country re-opened.  I wouldn't trust the Trump-run feds for anything, especially since he went on a firing spree since entering office.  

Meanwhile, in the remedial parts of California:

• Like 1
  • Eeek! 1

I’m watching Governor Newsom’s presser to see how our stay at home order is going to be relaxed.  Stay tuned.

Whatever he has decided, there will be strong emotions - it won’t be enough for some folks, too much for others.  I have to admit that I’m somewhat relieved that some things will open up, but I’m in good health with none of the high risk factors.  However, whatever opens up, I’m not in a rush to run out and do anything.  It’ll be some time before I’m ready to be around anyone who “forgets” that they can’t hug me (or doesn’t care because they think I NEED a hug, in which case this person really doesn’t know me at all) or thinks it’s their inalienable right to hug or touch me.

Will post again soon!

• Like 2

On Tuesday, Texas Governor, Gregg Abbott, opened up hair salons, spas and gyms, the later at 25% capacity.  While I'm anxious to get a haircut, I find the whole matter pretty worrisome.   @Rebel77, I am anxious to learn what Governor Newsom will open up.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

@Sandy - Spas and gyms = ☠️  

Have you walked the mall?

I read that regional Mayors and councils have been the reason why both Florida and Georgia have not seen massive is spikes.  Despite the opening of the state, mayors have kept businesses closed.  Good for them, although Georgia already has some rotten numbers.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

@Anna - I'm not sure that the mall is open, but anyhow I try to get out early every morning and walk this property, which is 27 acres.  At some point, the heat and humidity will be omnipresent 24/7 every day, but for now, it's a one day at a time scenario.  

The evening news showed the Texas Governor meeting at the White House today with Trump.  I should have known they were joined at the hip.

I, too, have been watching the new case count in Georgia and saw that it is relatively low.  I hope our mayor makes similarly sane decisions.  The reason Florida's numbers haven't exploded is because, unlike Houston, the hardest hit area there was not opened up!

How about a progress report on the sciatica.  I hope your new chair led the way to a faster recovery.

• Like 1