Will be fiddling with the site. If you encounter problems, please DM or send email to admin@ziboom.com. Thanks! ×
Anna

May, 2019 - Coronavirus

@Rebel77 wrote,  "I was surprised to see the high number of cases per 100,000 in Alamo, a very affluent, small community.  It's a rather high percentage for one of the richest towns in the county."

One of the first communities in this city with a high number of coronavirus cases was also a very affluent one.  They were featured on local news because their area had such a significant cluster of cases.  As it turned out, many of them had recently returned from trips to various countries and had, in turn, infected their friends and neighbors at social gatherings.  

@Anna  LOLing at ""THIS SEAT DID NOT SMASH MY TESTICLES."  I once owned a  stationary bike and have never fogotten the hard, uncomfortable seat.

• Like 2

National study predicts huge June spike in Houston coronavirus cases

Houston is one of several cities in the South that could see spikes in COVID-19 cases over the next four weeks as restrictions are eased, according to new research that uses cellphone data to track how well people are social distancing.

The updated projection, from PolicyLab at Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, found that traffic to non-essential businesses has jumped especially in Texas and Florida, which have moved aggressively to reopen.

Article Here

• Eeek! 2
  • Sad/Cry 1

Despite the fact that COVID-19 numbers are reaching record numbers each day in states, America is open for the weekend!   I really think that politicians have given up, and are just going to let use move into the second wave, which will still be the first wave.  It's like a tsunami, when all these waves merge together and either devastate the coast, or clutter and become the Pacific garbage patch.

In reading about the Pakistan Airline crash, I did stumble onto a thread by a someone -- not a pilot --  who began demanding that countries open up again.  The Australians on the thread jumped down this person's throat.  I actually didn't realize just how strict Australian COVID-19 rules were, but it makes all the sense in the world why they were able to stop it.  @Versailles - Is it true people were restricted from moving between states?    

In any case, there was an acceptance that America was just hopeless and useless, and there would be no flying here for quite some time.  I got this feeling anyway from reading news in other countries, but this is not something spoken of much here in the US.  People are out in masses, cluttering up in pre-COVID style.  I've seen too many people bickering over masks, and coughing on employees who won't let them into stores.  

Also, new flight crew rules for some places will require a 14-day quarantine if the crew gets off the plane.  That is pretty severe, but it also keeps flight crews safe.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Yes all states in Australia had border closures from midnight 5 April. They are still in place. 

Everyone was given notice to return to your home state if you were away visiting another state. After border closures only freight with food, medical supplies etc, medical staff, mining staff would be allowed in. Exemptions to attend a funeral in another state could be applied for. 

There was a race of what we call “grey nomads”  - retired couples with caravans on long holidays around Australia, to get to the two WA border crossings before they closed otherwise it would have meant being stuck in another state for a long time. 

Closing our International borders, then our state border and enforcing 2 weeks quarantine in a hotel with guards on each floor is what has contained COVID numbers here. It worked and now the decision has to be when to re-open State borders. Not while 3 other states still have outbreaks. 

I was surprised to learn the UK are just going to instigate the 2 week quarantine period.... seems a bit late. 

• Like 3

Professor Stephen Reicher is on the Independent Scientific Pandemic Influenza Group on Behaviours (SPI-B) that feeds analysis and advice to the scientists on the Government’s emergency panel.

Speaking after Boris Johnson’s defence of Dominic Cummings at the latest Downing Street press conference, he wrote: “I can say that in a few short minutes tonight, Boris Johnson has trashed all the advice we have given on how to build trust and secure adherence to the measures necessary to control Covid-19.”

In a second tweet, Prof Reicher said: “Be open and honest, we said. Trashed.

“Respect the public, we said. Trashed

“Ensure equity, so everyone is treated the same, we said. Trashed.

“Be consistent we said. Trashed.

“Make clear ‘we are all in it together’. Trashed.”

He added: “It is very hard to provide scientific advice to a government which doesn’t want to listen to science.

“I hope, however, that the public will read our papers and continue to make up for this bad government with their own good sense.”

Prof Reicher’s post had been retweeted more than 20,000 times in less than two hours, including by other scientists on SPI-B.

Robert West, professor of Health Psychology at University College London (UCL), agreed with the tweets.

He said: “I am sorry to have to say that as another member of SPI-B I have to agree.”

West’s colleague Susan Michie, director of the university’s Centre for Behaviour Change, said: “As another member of SPI-B, I completely agree.”

Earlier Prof Reicher, who is professor of social psychology at the University of St Andrews, said: “It feels increasingly as if we are living through a Greek drama.

“The kingmaker Cummings’ fatal flaw of hubris brings down both him and the king… what makes it tragedy is that such incompetence and turmoil will bring the people down as well.”

................................................................................................................................................................................................

Dominic Cummings is Boris Johnson's "Advisor" - the power behind the throne as it were. He decided to take his 4 year old son 250 miles to the Grandparent's house.

Then he travelled another 25 miles to the seaside before returning to London.

Yesterday those fantastic blokes at "Lions Led by Donkeys" set this up outside Cummings house.

Well done chaps.

What's even worse - Boris and a lot of senior Tories are saying he was quite right to do so, I'm surprised you haven't heard the howls of outrage on the other side of the world. 

•  Angry 1

Good morning!  

@Versailles - Really loved how Australia handled this whole thing.  Perhaps the rest of the western world can look at how both Australia and New Zealand handles these things, because they have a good understanding on how to deal with these semi-yearly things that come out of China.  I really think China is in full IDGAF mode most times.

It's interesting to me how Japan went in and spun right out of their coronavirus peak.  It was pretty seamless, and my family certainly wasn't observing that many rules.  They all met and had a party for my uncle, who passed away.  However, bowing, masks and genetic germophobia works, I guess.  

@cestrian  - Spotted this on Twitter and thought it was a good summary of things:

• Agree 2

I'm just watching him squirm 😆 he's getting a real battering from the journalists. It's made my day 😉.

His statement is being foresically taken apart. 

"I drove 25 miles to Barnard Castle to see if I was safe to drive" - seriously ?

I had a slap on the wrist from my consultant for suggesting that I should drive myself to hospital and that's only about  800 m. I wouldn't be insured apparently. 

He's blaming the media - where have I heard that before ?

Am I the only person who thinks he looks like Gollum ?

• Haha 2
  • Agree 1

@cestrian - It does look a great deal like Trump and one of his many criminal friends who were given cabinet posts to do more criminal things.  Johnson won't get rid of Cummings, will he.  He has a friend across the pond who pardons war criminals.  

Good morning!  My neighbors had a party yesterday with lots of people, and I could hear someone coughing away. 

At one point, it got a bit quiet, and I heard the someone ask, "why are you coughing?"  

"It's allergies."

"Okay!"  Noise grows loud again.

I shut the window.  

We have a pool and a large backyard in between us, and I can hear everything since my window was open.  That means their normal volume was screaming.  :help:

• Eeek! 1

@Anna - I hope the coughing dude isn't giving the people who have severe allergies (like me) a bad name.  It's bad enough that I've had to give the allergy disclaimer in the past, before COVID-19, but now it's going to be even worse.  Joy.

Speaking of joy, I'm now beginning to wonder how it is that the beaches were allowed to be packed, yet hairdressers can't work.  The people who think the lockdown is dumb or unconstitutional argue that we should be allowed to use our common sense. Wow, the display of common sense at the crowded beaches was just astounding, wasn't it?

I should give the disclaimer that a couple of my Facebook friends posted photos of Ocean Beach and the beautiful Land's End trail over the weekend.  Plenty of social distancing.  No one sitting on the beach.  People moving along.  The San Francisco Bay Area may not be perfect, but people are being mindful.  I went on a hike nearby yesterday, although we didn't manage to beat the heat like we wanted to - kind of hard to do when it's 85F at 10:00 a.m.  Anyway, people were so friendly and mindful!  The trail where I went is very wide, so social distancing was possible.  We did take one narrow trail, where people were very polite about granting others the "right of way" (so to speak).  Some chose to wear masks the whole time, as is their right.  But, the rules here are masks outdoors only when social distancing isn't possible, so we stuck with that rule.  I had my mask in my pocket, ready to put on in case we couldn't stand far apart.

Now, here we are in that less than a week period before our county's SIP order expires.  No doubt there will be another announcement that we're extended, but with more loosing.  I'm going to reiterate that, if law enforcement is impotent to carry out the rules at beaches, then let small business owners work.  The whole thing has become illogical and nonsensical.

• Like 1

People ripping into Dominic Cummings.

"As a concerned parent I'd do the same" except that thousands of people throughout the U.K. observed the rules missing relatives dying, or missed visiting relatives in or out of hospital, or didn't attend funerals.

The man is the lowest of the low.

Even the Tory M.P.'s are rounding on him and one's resigned in protest.

Two petitions on Change.org

"Save Dominic Cummings" - 15,000 signatures.

"Sack Dominic Cummings" - 750,000 signatures,

😆

Image may contain: 1 person, text that says "Simon Pegg @Simon_Peg Pegg So, it turns out the real reason they told us all to STAY ALERT was to watch out for mad bastards with impaired vision tanking it down the A1. 6:07 pm pm 25/05/2020 Twitter for Android"

On a more personal level, I rang the hospital, the green zone isn't set up yet but I'm top of the list when it's up and running.

• Like 2

Good morning!  Our county opened up, and just like that, we're closed again because people in Los Angeles have been driving here, cluttering up the trails without masks and leaving garbage all over the police.  Ventura County is largely forests, mountainous terrain and trails...neat things, which is why we burn up every year.  Thanks, Los Angeles!  💩

We also now have wide-scale testing by car, so our numbers have gone up.  My town is pretty steady at 63 (up a few).

My favorite pilot from Air France finished his COVID training and flew a 777 filled with cargo to Mexico.  While there, he took videos of the empty streets.  There is no one out, and all businesses are shuttered.  He gave us his flight number to follow the flight back on Flightrader, and AFrance flying over US was pretty enlightening.  There are no domestic airlines flying right now, and the sky is just filled with UPS, Fedex, Quest Diagnostics (lab testing) and other smaller medical planes.  The domestic airliners seem to only operate between very major hubs, and it seems that flights from Europe are only going as far as JFK.  There are no passenger flights from the Pacific, but lots of cargo.  It sure does make me miss flying.  

California’s policies for opening up gradually have just become the stupidest thing ever and is causing huge division here in the Bay Area.

It was announced on Tuesday that moving further into Stage 2 is happening in California. But, wait, not really.  Counties have to apply for and be approved a variance to move into this accelerated phase of Stage Two via an attestation process.  All but 11 counties have done the attestation.  The San Francisco Bay Area, including the county where I live, has not.  And, it was confirmed yesterday that we are still moving slower than the rest of the state.

What’s wrong with this picture?  Neighboring Solano County has met the attestation and has opened hair salons and dining in (with restrictions) starting today.  People are violating SIP and leaving our county to go to Solano to get haircuts, eat out, etc.  So, just how safe are we in SIP?  WE’RE NOT! And how safe is Solano now that people here will be going there?   How many of those people are going to continue going to Solano for these services even when Contra Costa can open up, leading to even more economic loss here.

I am astounded at a process that allows us to not move forward as an entire state.  I am certain that numbers here will now go up as a result of our county presumably keeping us safer by keeping us locked in, while neighboring counties are open.

Unbelievable.  I’m stunned that Governor Newsom has allowed such a thing.

• Eeek! 1
  • Agree 1

@Rebel77 - I just read the mask pamphlet for my county, which pretty much discourages its use.  The Plandemic moms are just so happy!  

Have I told you just HOW MUCH I HATE SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I'm not sure if you'll be able to read this or not, but this article explains perfectly my frustration at the San Francisco Bay Area's handling of phased opening:

https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/05/29/san-mateo-county-to-allow-churches-retail-to-open-with-restrictions/

In case you can't, the Bay Area counties had been united in the stage of reopening...until now.  In essence, the Bay Area has entered SIP rules chaos.  San Francisco has broken off on its own and has a plan.  San Mateo has a plan.  Alameda County will announce a plan modeled after San Francisco.

And what's Contra Costa's plan?  "Wait and see."   The latest announcement was "there's no end to the current order.  We'll re-evaluate in two weeks."  Sorry, but that's crap for a county that's numbers support the next SMALL step in reopening.

I sat in on the Contra Costa County Board of Supervisors' Zoom meeting last Thursday and was glad I did.  They really do give people a public forum to speak and listen to everyone, including the nut jobs who gave "legal notice" that the Board is violating everyone's Constitutional rights and quoting some United States Code.  To which I thought, "under what authority do you give legal notice?"  One woman who held up signs so as not to disrupt the meeting held one up that said "Eventually, we're going to stop listening."  I saw people nodding their heads.  I also learned that the Supervisors cannot override the health department, so all the "vote them out" crap I'm seeing on social media isn't going to help.

Disclaimer: I still think California is opening too soon.  But, to not move forward as a state and have neighboring counties that are allowing things such as haircuts and dining out just isn't logical or smart.  Our supervisors are well aware that people are going to leave the county, and there was a sense of underlying frustration with the county health department (which makes all the decisions) for essentially allowing this to happen.  People here feel punished for doing right.  Not saying that it's a right opinion, but it's how people feel.  It's only human nature.

So, at this point, people are going to break the rules, particularly since the county hasn't shown us the data as to why we're still in jail.  The numbers being published don't support it.  If it's because we have mass public transit, ridership is WAY down.  I'm not sure how BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) is going to survive with lower ridership plus massive budget cuts looming.  So, please, Contra Costa County health department, come up with a sensible plan that gives us some measure of hope or tell us the REAL reason why we still have the most strict SIP policy.  Otherwise, there will be anarchy, which has already started.

• Like 2

In my state of West Australia, we are finally ready to re-open in a big way from next Saturday, that includes cinemas, art galleries, museums, gyms and unlimited road travel within the whole state for holidays. 

This is because we had no new cases at all for many days days...UNTIL a ship came into harbour with a COVID crew and our numbers soared again. Hopefully it is the truth that they did not walk around freely in the city after docking. They are being treated now so her’s hoping this small outbreak is contained.

This is what the rest of the year will probably be like .. all calm then a small outbreak to snuff out, possibly repeated every few weeks. 

B505C7A8-90F8-45F3-895F-7A54F476AE8B.thumb.jpeg.01bf510370e211174e755e8b7672438d.jpeg

• Like 2

Good morning!  The neighbors who had that huge Memorial Day party have been very very quiet this last week.  They normally make lots of noise during the week, but I do hear their pool person draining things.  I hope they're okay.  

@Rebel77 brought up some excellent points.  I am also very confused about California's opening.  San Francisco has set dates on opening now, which doesn't make sense since the rule WAS supposed to be based upon the percentage of new COVID cases within a time frame.  To be honest, I think everyone has lost control and are just going to wait for the second wave.  

I have an fundie Christian friend who said her church, and many others, were going to defy our Governor's new plan on churches, which was to restrict the numbers gathering to a small amount.  She is proud to do this.  

Japan's re-opened, and might close again because they went from having 36 cases on Friday to 86 on Saturday. South Korea also closed its schools again after a surge.

Best of luck to @Versailles and Australia.  What movie will you be seeing?

• Like 1