Will be fiddling with the site. If you encounter problems, please DM or send email to admin@ziboom.com. Thanks! ×
Anna

ZiBoom Japan meetup?

I'm not sure how many of you are serious about going, but here is the thread.  I am copy/pasting the information that @Versailles put up:

1 - Suggested dates for 2022

2 - length of stay

3 - pre or  post individual travel for after the meet up 

4 - suggested itinerary

5 - interests of participants

6 - suggested accommodation options of different price points near a central meeting point

For Sam and I -

1)  We normally go in May because our family gets together for the festival at my uncle's temple.  This is a Tokyo wide festival, so it will be MASSIVE.    If you want to see the cherry blossoms, though, we have to go in April.  By May, most of the cherry blossoms will have fluttered to the ground in Tokyo.   However, you can always visit northern Japan, will trees should still be intact in the beginning of May.

So for cherry blossom viewing sake, how about middle of April?  I think we all want to see this:

Cherry blossom spot in Kamakura | Enoshima Breeze

This is Kamakura.  It's about an hour from the hotel where I'll put you all.  

2)  We always stay for 2 weeks.

3)  I suggest trying to all land on the same date because Narita airport is a long ride to Tokyo.  If you stay at the hotel I've recommended, it's a straight shot.  But I'll have to go to the airport to make sure you get tickets and on the correct train since it's a maze.  Going home is up to you.  I can stand on the platform, waiting for the Narita express with you.  Since the ride ends at the airport, there is no chance you will get lost. Also, there are directions in English.    

If you have the option to fly into Haneda International Airport, TAKE IT.  I will pick you up, as it is about 15 minutes away from the house.   For this option, though, you will more than likely have to fly on All-Nippon Airways (ANA).

4)  Outside of Tokyo, which is MASSIVE, I suggest Kamakura/Enoshima, Kyoto / Nara, Osaka, Hiroshima, Nagasaki (we HAVE to go to Kyushu, just for the ramen), Kanazawa (west coast of Japan and old samurai town) and Sapporo.  Look at #6 to see how reasonable this might be.  If you want to see the largest castle in Japan, which just got cleaned up, we can go to Himeji, which isn't too far from Hiroshima.  If you want to see really old and beautiful Japan, perhaps Nikko.  However, lots of walking up stairs.    If you want the real Japanese experience, though, Hakone for the hot springs.  This isn't too far from where we will be staying.  As for Mt. Fuji, we can see that from Enoshima (that little island in front of Fuji).   You can also see Fuji from the bullet train.

Mount Fuji View: The Best Spots to Recommend near Enoshima - VOYAPON

5)  We will go!  

6)  You can stay where you want.  I would opt for the hotel near us since it is nice, centrally located and relatively inexpensive, compared to Tokyo prices.  In the alternate, you can opt for something fun like the Godzilla hotel.  haha

You will definitely want the Railpass, which Japan offers to tourists.  You can buy it for a week (I recommend the green one, since that is like business class and always has seats).  The Railpass gets you onto all JR trains for free, including the bullet train.  Since Japan is mostly JR, it's pretty much all trains.  You will have to play for most subway trains, though, and trains that run through popular parts of Tokyo.  But the fares for those trips are pretty minimal.  We will have to go en masse to get the Railpass converted, though.  

Japan also has a lot of budget hotels that are very clean.  They are also close to train stations.  But if you want the Japanese experience of sleeping on the floor + several course meal that comes with the stay, that is probably best done in Kyoto.  Or even Osaka, where you can opt for a meal with Kobe beef.

Japan is expensive if you want it to be.  But it's also pretty inexpensive, without sacrificing your stomach. You can get good meals at convenience stores, and there are lots of great inexpensive places to eat in Tokyo, because it caters to the business group.  We regularly go to the mall for food, because it's delicious and good.  

So save up for airfare, hotels, transportation (you can buy the railpass in your country), food and souvenirs.  

• Like 2

Count me in ! plenty of time to save up and research. 

• Like 2

I think it would be good if people would state where they want to visit in Japan.  If you don't know, just say "snow monkeys" (that would be a winter thing, btw) or "geishas".  

• Like 1

I'm afraid it's just a pipe dream for me.. There's no way apart from winning the lottery I could ever afford to visit Japan, the airfare, accommodation and costs etc.. although as I've said, I'd love to go.. I'd struggle to find the money for a weekend stay at the coast in England. I don't have any disposable income.. It's a nice dream though and I'll follow this thread as it's cool to hear of all of your planning, and the exciting anticipation of the trip... I know it's quite some way in the future but when you do go please take lots of pictures... I'd love to see them all, don't forget to take pics of the koi carp, hahaha.. If my fortunes change between now and 2022 (never say never!) I'll be sure to let you know, as it's a trip of a lifetime..

I have an ornamental cherry tree in my garden, it's beautiful when on bloom.. Behind it is where the pond I showed you on "Culture club" used to be, it's all filled in now..

p.jpeg?fv_content=true&size_mode=5

• Like 2

@Frank Beastie - I'm going to start playing Lotto. Maybe everyone's trip can be free, yah?  Except it's been cancelled for a bit.  We have plenty of time to win, though!

• Like 3

Yes, I’m going to start playing Lotto, too! 

I would very much like to go, and two years from now should make it doable in terms of saving money and brushing up on my Japanese!

• Like 2

@Anna - you’ve pretty much listed all the places I would want to go in Japan.  I would also want to go for two weeks, as it takes close to two days to get used to the time change, plus we “lose” a day when we get there.

You seem to have covered all the bases, and we certainly hone in when it gets closer!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I have a question before I start to look up where some of those places you mentioned sit geographically. 

How easy, feasible is it to stay in one place in Japan and travel by train to another place just for day trips. 
I am getting the impression that except for far north that having a base so you unpack once is doable ? 

Usually when I travel to a smaller country I will try to base myself in a region and then travel out  each day in a spoke pattern using local transport. Then move on to another region and do the same. 

As opposed to a large country like the USA or Australia where I have to fly to each place usually - that’s if I want to cover a lot of ground. 

• Like 2

Working my way through Japan using Google maps..excluding Sapporo it looks like this so far ! 
4FC76A45-C950-462A-9C71-370D6EF83EB7.thumb.jpeg.aaf21148569bd98e404bb8b3b8454b18.jpeg

• Like 1

@Versailles - It's pretty easy to do since Japan is really connected by bullet train.  When Sam's parents first went to Japan, they stayed at the hotel close to our house.  We did lots of day trips to accommodate them, because Tokyo and Yokohama will keep you occupied.  We can probably do a day tour in Kyoto.  It's easy to rent a van that will take us on a private tour. We've done that, too.  As long we can make it back on the 9pm train back to Shinagawa (Tokyo), we are fine.  We have done that many times, too.  Nara and Osaka would be the same.

Once you go south of Osaka to Hiroshima and Nagasaki, you're now looking to sleep over at places.  Points north will usually require overnight stay, though.  There is a huge stretch of nothing after the earthquake, so you're looking at going from Tokyo to Aomori, which is a long trip.  Points west can probably be done on a day trip, but you won't want to.  A place like Kanazawa is worth exploring for its fish market, samurai village and castle (which is sort of tiny). 

Bear in mind that the hotel will easily keep your stuff.  In the alternate, our house is nearby so everyone can stick stuff there until we return.   This way, you can just bring an overnight bag for short trips.  

Also, most Japanese stores will ship items you buy while traveling to most any point in the country.  They can ship it to your hotel, or they can send it to our house.  That way, you don't have to travel with souvenirs.  Most big Japanese department stores, which have EVERYTHING, have duty free shopping.  I also think that as long as you show your passport, you won't have to pay taxes on items, either.

• Like 1

Oh...forgot to mention...

When looking at places to visit, bear in mind that every place in Japan has a temple, castle and hot springs. In most cases, the best areas for this really are in Kyoto/Osaka/Himeji, since this is the area where so many historical events took place.  In essence, Japan was just filled with territories and clans until it was united by Toyotomi Hideyoshi.  Osaka Castle is the result of this.  (Himeji is the better castle after they gutted Osaka Castle).  For you Ultraman fans out there, lots of monsters smushed Osaka castle to pieces.

I suggest that when you decide what you want to do, outside of the regular sites,  really base it on the food you want to try.  Every part of Japan specializes in some type of food, and that is what really makes the country outstanding.  For instance, Yokosuka is known for Japanese curry.  Yokohama is shumai.  Fukuoka and Sapporo = RAMEN.  Fukuoka is also known for mentaiko, or spicy fish roe.

• Like 2

Here is a list of festivals we can go to in April.  For those of you who have never been to Japan, festivals are a MUST.  It's the best way to see the culture.

The penis festival is pretty close to where we are staying.  However, there are lots of people there. I wouldn't mind this particular festival as I've been to the temple to buy my mother some snacks.  For you Godzilla fans, the train we would take from Kawasaki station is the same one Godzilla kicked in "Shin Godzilla".  In fact, the place we will all be staying at/near is a huge showdown area in "Shin Godzilla".  If you haven't seen the film, it might give you a good idea of how big both Tokyo and Yokohama are.  

Japan Festivals - April

• Agree 1

IS IT APRIL 2022 YET??????????

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Anna said:

Here is a list of festivals we can go to in April.  For those of you who have never been to Japan, festivals are a MUST.  It's the best way to see the culture.

The penis festival is pretty close to where we are staying.  However, there are lots of people there. I wouldn't mind this particular festival as I've been to the temple to buy my mother some snacks.  For you Godzilla fans, the train we would take from Kawasaki station is the same one Godzilla kicked in "Shin Godzilla".  In fact, the place we will all be staying at/near is a huge showdown area in "Shin Godzilla".  If you haven't seen the film, it might give you a good idea of how big both Tokyo and Yokohama are.  

Japan Festivals - April

Ummmm....I think I'll skip the penis festival, thanks!

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1