Will be fiddling with the site. If you encounter problems, please DM or send email to admin@ziboom.com. Thanks! ×

Good day! It really is the Memorial Day weekend, and I think Sam has the day off again. He works at a place that gives him unlimited paid days off, though. That is nifty stuff!

I never considered Memorial Day weekend to be a thing until I saw it advertised on grocery store fliers. It seems to be a somber occasion, and I never considered it to be one of those barbecue events. I know that the local cemeteries here hold ceremonies. As long as we are going to honor our dead, I hope we remember the living veterans. I am happy that Captain Tom Moore is going to be knighted for that brave act of walking around to raise money for the NHS. At 100, he exemplified that true selfless spirit. I know he falls into the “Okay, Boomer” category, but young people outside of Hong Kong who want to change the world need to do more than complain on Twitter and make twerking Tik Tok videos.

Today is Heritage Breeds Day! These are types of livestock that used to be quite commonplace before industrial agriculture became a thing. I am not a fan of industrial agriculture, and will not buy those brands of meat. I dislike animal suffering, and the employment practices where low wage workers have had no real protections since this entire COVID-19 thing began. However, these plants offer cheaper meat, as long as you’re not looking for different cuts.

I do like the idea that immigrants – most likely illegal – have gone to these industrial agri towns to help populate and give these places some culture. It’s always a good day when Taco Bell isn’t your only option.

Today is also Taffy Day. For those of you who love John Steinbeck and his stories from the California central coast, salt-water taffy is the real deal in a place like Monterey. It seems like the brightest, sweetest taste from an area where battleship gray rocks and cloud shroud curving coastal stretches. I had my first taste of salt-water taffy when I was young on a bus tour of artichoke farms and Monterey’s Cannery Row with @Rebel77, her mother and their Buddhist church.  What child would not love taffy?

Taffy-Apple-Pizza_exps38383_UH142930D03_
Taffy apple pizza. Your dentist is waiting!

Have a great day!

• Like 2

Hope you both have a nice weekend.. BBQ or not.  I like the sound of a firm that gives unlimited paid days off  !

Our Australian equivalent to Memorial Day  must be Anzac Day. It is a very solemn time for all and even young children are encouraged to find out the history of their grandfathers or great uncles service and wave flags. 

However after the processions and wreath laying ceremonies finish at midday the celebrations begin. BBQ’s, parties - time to roll out the Anzac biscuits, passionfruit pavlova. 

A fair dinkum Aussie gambling game is allowed to be played anywhere. It is called “Two Up” and consists of two copper penny coins being tossed in the air and often large sums of money in bets are laid. The soldiers in WW1 used to amuse themselves with this, so it became a tradition. 

Taffy I love it ..only tried it twice.  My introduction was a decade ago - at a shop in Bunbury called Taffy’s using a recipe from the store in Gatlinburg, Tennessee. 

The owner has a 1920’s red wrapping machine that cuts, shapes and wraps the tasty morsels a 120 per minute. 

I managed to get through a packet without losing any fillings !   Then I bought some in Seattle on my last visit. 

USA has some great candies and desserts ! 

• Like 2

Not gonna lie....struggling with the county SIP and distancing on this holiday weekend.  It's only been a little over two months, but it's one of those days where it feels like forever.

A change of scenery is in order, so I think we will take that walk by the Martinez shoreline tomorrow or Monday.  We're entering into a heat wave here, where the temperatures will be over 100F for three days next week (and 90's tomorrow & Monday).  So, whatever we do it will have to be in the mornings and evenings.

Speaking of great USA candies, our wonderful Bay Area delight See's Candies is starting production again!  Yay!  Since they make everything from scratch, we'll have limited flavors for a little while.  But, I'm so excited that the best candy around here will be back!

Taffy......it may have bene okay as a kid, but not a huge fan anymore.  The New Jersey seashore is famous for its taffy, and my MIL gets sent a big box of it every year.  She doesn't eat it anymore so she paws it off on us.  And we pawn it off on someone else.  It's just too much work for very little reward.  Give me chocolate, please!

• Like 1